This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1217 / 51°7'17"N
Longitude: -1.0627 / 1°3'45"W
OS Eastings: 465696
OS Northings: 136236
OS Grid: SU656362
Mapcode National: GBR B88.N4J
Mapcode Global: VHD11.J2KG
Entry Name: Wheel House and Donkey Wheel Immediately South West of Southdown Old Farmhouse
Listing Date: 19 June 2003
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1096165
English Heritage Legacy ID: 490187
Location: Medstead, East Hampshire, Hampshire, GU34
District: East Hampshire
Civil Parish: Medstead
Built-Up Area: Medstead
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Medstead St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
430/0/10007 SOUTH TOWN ROAD
19-JUN-03 South Town
Wheel House and Donkey Wheel immediat
ely south west of Southdown Old Farmho
Wheel house, donkey wheel and well. Circa early C19. Weatherboarded timber-frame on brick plinth. Slate roof with gabled ends.
PLAN: Narrow single-bay building.
EXTERIOR: Tall building with blind elevations. Broad gabled east front with plank door on right. Rear [west] abuts later cart-shed [not included].
INTERIOR: One bay, the east and west walls have queen-strut trusses with clasped purlins; common-rafter couples intact; jowled posts with braces to the tie-beams and wall-plates; wall-framing comprising tall studs and long straight braces with mid-rails on gable walls only. Large wooden donkey wheel, its massive timber axle set on the mid-rails; coiled around the axle is the well-bucket rope over the circular well.
A rare survival of a donkey wheel house, complete with its donkey wheel in working order.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings