This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.7006 / 52°42'2"N
Longitude: 1.0471 / 1°2'49"E
OS Eastings: 605983
OS Northings: 315792
OS Grid: TG059157
Mapcode National: GBR TCT.ML2
Mapcode Global: WHLS0.1DX0
Entry Name: Green Farmhouse and Attached Service Wing
Listing Date: 23 September 2003
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1096168
English Heritage Legacy ID: 490210
Location: Elsing, Breckland, Norfolk, NR20
Civil Parish: Elsing
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Elsing St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
496/0/10008 PEASELAND GREEN
23-SEP-03 Green Farmhouse and attached service w
Farmhouse with attached service wing. Late C16/early C17 with early C18 and early/mid C19 alterations. Red brick largely replacing timber-frame walling; service wing of brick. Pantile roof with central ridge stack with linked flues. 3-unit lobby-entrance plan. Service rooms at eastern end. Single-storey service wing at right angles from north east corner.
Farmhouse. 2 storeys with attic. Reduced parapet gables. Original principal front to south. 3-window range of 3 3-light casements at first floor. Double part-glazed central door into lobby. 3-light casement windows either side with metal opening lights and under segmental arches. Early C18 chequered brick work to ground floor and early /mid C19 Bylaugh estate brick to first floor and east end of ground floor. West gable end of C19 brick with 3 3-light casements under segmental arches. Present main front to north. Inserted doorway to left with doorcase of pilasters under flat hood. Door has moulded cover strips. 2 4-light wooden mullion and transom windows under segmental arches. Internal shutters. 2 3-light windows above.
INTERIOR. Winder stair from ground floor to attic in lobby. 4 heavy bridging beams (one boarded) with wide chamfers to ground floor. Later fireplaces in front of large stack and hood. At first floor tops of 4 jowled posts of the timber frame are visible on the north side. All the tie beams are in situ except for westernmost. The fine roof is of clasped purlins with reduced principals and curved wind bracing. West end has mortices for braces suggesting that rebuilt west gable is in similar position to original gable. Bridging beam in ground floor room is in appropriate position and partition is later.
Service wing. This single-storey building projects northwards from the north east corner of the farmhouse and adds to evidence that service rooms were always at east end. It was accessed by now blocked passage from one of the main range service rooms. Early C18 brickwork and north gable end stack. A 2-light casement and a 3-light casement with central boarded door to both west and east fronts.
INTERIOR has copper and ovens, shallow sandstone sink with lead pump. Separate dairy room with arched niches onto a pamment shelf.
Green Farmhouse is a good example of an evolved estate farmhouse, originally late C16/early C17 with the roof and significant amounts of the original timber-frame surviving, with early C18 underbuilding and unusual addition of extra service rooms, and then early/mid C19 upgrading for the Bylaugh estate.
Shown on maps of 1797 and 1826.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings