History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Village Hall and Attached House

A Grade II Listed Building in Elvaston, Derbyshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.8893 / 52°53'21"N

Longitude: -1.393 / 1°23'34"W

OS Eastings: 440938

OS Northings: 332597

OS Grid: SK409325

Mapcode National: GBR 7GP.W31

Mapcode Global: WHDH1.KMWW

Entry Name: Village Hall and Attached House

Listing Date: 11 March 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1096402

English Heritage Legacy ID: 83025

Location: Elvaston, South Derbyshire, Derbyshire, DE72

County: Derbyshire

District: South Derbyshire

Civil Parish: Elvaston

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire

Church of England Parish: Elvaston-cum-Thulston-cum-Ambaston St Bartholomew

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

2/39 (West Side)
Village Hall And
Attached House (No 21)
School and school master's house, now village hall and house.
1852, built for the Earl of Harrington, with later rear
additions. Red brick plus yellow brick headers in Flemish bond,
with stone dressings and stone copings to brick plinth. Steeply
pitched banded fishscale and plain tile roof with pierced
bargeboards and an external gable stack to west with twin pots
plus a side wall external brick stack to east. Single storey,
three bay school to west with single bay tower to east end at
junction with the house which is attached at right angles. The
school has an advanced gabled centre bay with a large 3-light
recessed and chamfered cross window plus dripmould and a moulded
plaque with Harrington crest and dripmould above. To either
side there are smaller 2-light recessed and chamfered 2-light
mullion windows. To east the advanced three storey tower has a
chamfered four-centred arched doorcase with incised spandrels,
hoodmould and plank door to south, and a stepped buttress to
west. Above it has a recessed and chamfered single light window
with returned hoodmould and above again there is a moulded stone
quatrefoil inscribed '1852'. West side of tower has a recessed
and chamfered single light window to ground floor with similar
window to the third stage and a small blocked window between in
the second stage. To top the tower has a coved eaves
stringcourse and embattled parapet. House to east has gable
wall to main front with a 3-light recessed and chamfered mullion
window with dripmould to ground floor and similar 2-light window
above plus similar crested plaque over. Similar arrangement of
windows to east elevation. All fenestration is lozenge pattern
iron casements. Rear additions of no interest.

Listing NGR: SK4093832597

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.