This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.8518 / 52°51'6"N
Longitude: -1.4773 / 1°28'38"W
OS Eastings: 435293
OS Northings: 328385
OS Grid: SK352283
Mapcode National: GBR 6FT.C8T
Mapcode Global: WHDH6.8LR2
Plus Code: 9C4WVG2F+P3
Entry Name: Church of St Wilfrid
Listing Date: 10 November 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1096559
English Heritage Legacy ID: 82691
Location: Barrow upon Trent, South Derbyshire, Derbyshire, DE73
District: South Derbyshire
Civil Parish: Barrow upon Trent
Built-Up Area: Barrow upon Trent
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Barrow-on-Trent St Wilfrid
Church of England Diocese: Derby
SK 32 NE
PARISH OF BARROW-UPON-TRENT
CHURCH LANE (north side)
Church of St Wilfrid
Parish church. Mid C13, C14, C15 and early C19. Coursed, squared sandstone with sandstone dressings. Lead and plain-tile roofs, with coped gables. West tower, aisled nave, south porch and chancel.
West tower of two stages divided by a string course. Diagonal buttresses to west and angle buttresses to north and south, with five set-offs. Tall lower stage with chamfered plinth. The west elevation has a doorway with chamfered surround and plank door. Five-light window of c1300 above, with intersecting tracery and a cusped lozenge at the top. Hoodmould. The lower stage is blind to the other elevations. The upper stage has C14 two-light bell openings in each direction, with reticulated tracery. C15 battlements and four stumpy pinnacles. Gabled north aisle has a thirteen-light west window with intersecting tracery. Angle buttresses and one intermediate buttress. North doorway with moulded surround, hoodmould and plank door. To the left are two three-light windows with intersecting tracery. Three-light east window with reticulated tracery.
The north side of the chancel has a single chamfered priests doorway with hoodmould and plank door with decorative iron hinges. Curious low pointed window to right. C20 brick buttress in the angle with the aisle. The east elevation of the chancel has a shallow gable, thin buttresses and a broad four-centred arched window with chamfered surround, probably C18.
The south side of the chancel has a low single-chamfered round-arched priests doorway with hoodmould. To the left is a three-light flat-arched window with cusped ogee lights. Shallow gabled south aisle has a three-light east window with reticulated tracery. Diagonal buttresses and one intermediate buttress. The south side has two early C19 lancets with chamfered surrounds. Similar west window. Gabled south porch with broad pointed doorway. C20 plank doors. Diagonal buttresses with two set-offs. Round-arched niche above with moulded surround.
To the west and east are a pair of small chamfered lancets. Clerestory of three two-light windows with flat arches and the remains of the traceried arched lights of the C15 clerestory.
INTERIOR: three bay arcades, that to the north mid C13 with compound piers with shafts and shaft rings and moulded capitals. Much restored in the C19. The south arcade is C14 and has octagonal piers and abaci. Both have double chamfered arches. Unmoulded tower arch with an inner chamfered order on corbels. Double-chamfered chancel arch, the inner order dying into the imposts. In the south aisle is a round-arched tomb recess with a C14 alabaster effigy of a priest. Moulded hoodmould, to the left, a trefoil-headed recessed panel with moulded surround and traces of painting.
Squints from the aisles into the chancel that to the north forms a passageway from the aisle to the chancel and is lit by its own window. Plain octagonal font.
Monuments: tablet to Elizabeth Milward +1610 (north aisle). Plain tablet to John Bancroft +1803 (north aisle) by W Barton of Derby. Elizabeth Mozeley +1883 (nave) by R C Lomas of Derby. Richard Sale +1808 (nave) by Hall of Derby. Much damaged tomb chest with incised slab. C19 alabaster pulpit. Open backed C19 pews. Painted lozenge hatchment.
Listing NGR: SK3529428388
Other nearby listed buildings