History in Structure

Church of St Michael

A Grade II* Listed Building in Sutton on the Hill, Derbyshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.9051 / 52°54'18"N

Longitude: -1.6484 / 1°38'54"W

OS Eastings: 423744

OS Northings: 334239

OS Grid: SK237342

Mapcode National: GBR 5CH.XQF

Mapcode Global: WHCFS.N77R

Plus Code: 9C4WW942+2J

Entry Name: Church of St Michael

Listing Date: 19 January 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1096581

English Heritage Legacy ID: 82638

ID on this website: 101096581

Location: St Michael's Church, Lane Ends, South Derbyshire, DE6

County: Derbyshire

District: South Derbyshire

Civil Parish: Sutton on the Hill

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire

Church of England Parish: Sutton-on-the-Hill St Michael

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Tagged with: Church building

Find accommodation in


3/51 (North Side)
19.1.67 Church of
St Michael

Parish church. C14, 1841 and rebuilt 1863. Ashlar sandstone
with stone dressings, plinth and continuous sill stringcourse to
nave. Graduated slate roof with crested ridge tiles, ridge
crosses and moulded stone coped gables on gableted kneelers.
Western steeple, nave with north aisle and lower chancel, north
vestry and south porch. Three stage western tower has stepped
full height set back buttresses and deep chamfered plinth.
Pointed chamfered doorcase to south and central 2-light pointed
window with cusped tracery to west, both set under dark red,
stone relieving arches. Above each opening is a single central
trefoil window with hood under similar relieving arch, southern
one with clockface over. Third stage, slightly recessed, with
chamfered string to base and pairs of chamfered louvred lancets
with tracery trefoils to tops, under hoods and relieving arches,
to all sides. Above, a moulded corbel table and large broached
spire with gableted lucarnes to four sides and ball finial to
top. North elevation of tower has a projecting staircase
turret. North aisle has four C19 2-light windows, with
quatrefoils over trefoil headed lights, and hoodmoulds over, also
buttresses to either end and between the windows. Beyond,
to east, north vestry has two pairs of adjoining trefoil headed
lancets with buttress between. East elevation has diagonal
buttresses to either side of chancel and central 3-light window.
South chancel elevation has central pointed chamfered C19
doorcase with adjoining buttress to east, and beyond a Cl9
2-light pointed traceried window with hood, Similar window to
west of door. South wall of nave has two large pointed C19
3-light windows with large quatrefoils over trefoil headed
lights and a single lancet with quatrefoil over trefoil headed
light beyond south porch to west. South porch has deep moulded
pointed arch on nook shafts with waterleaf capitals and simple
double chamfered pointed inner door. Interior has much restored
C14 four bay north arcade with double chamfered pointed arches
on octagonal columns and moulded capitals, chamfered hoods with
carved labelstops over. C19 pointed chancel arch with moulded
soffit support by columnar corbels with waterleaf capitals.
Tall narrow double chamfered tower arch, probably original, but
much restored. Also double chamfered arch through from chancel
to north organ bay. All roofs C19, as are the choir stalls with
fleur de lys poppyheads, the octagonal stone font with decorated
tracery to sides of bowl, the wooden screen across the tower
arch and the nave pews. Marble pulpit with cusped panelling and
the similar reredos are probably C20. To north side of chancel
arch is a large stone statue of Joan of Arc, which is also C20.
To north side of chancel is a magnificent re-set C17 wall tomb
with segmental headed niche, topped by achievements, in which
are various plaques and inscribed cartouches to the Sleigh
family and to the base of which is a painted coffin. The base
has semi-circular niches with painted coats of arms in and above
two inscribed panels, dated 1634 and 1679. Nave has one marble
and slate memorial to William Eaton of 1858 and various C20
memorials. East window and two south nave windows have stained
glass of c1863.

Listing NGR: SK2374434239

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.