This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.5788 / 52°34'43"N
Longitude: 1.7247 / 1°43'28"E
OS Eastings: 652447
OS Northings: 304408
OS Grid: TG524044
Mapcode National: GBR YRJ.BTV
Mapcode Global: WHNW5.GFHV
Plus Code: 9F43HPHF+GV
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 27 June 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1096807
English Heritage Legacy ID: 468445
Location: Great Yarmouth, Norfolk, NR31
Electoral Ward/Division: St Andrews
Built-Up Area: Gorleston-on-Sea
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Gorleston St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
Southtown and Gorleston
CHURCH LANE (North side)
Church of St Andrew
Parish church. C13 west tower, C14 nave, continuous chancel and aisles. Heavily restored 1872. Quaternary and Quarry flint with whole chert pebbles and Lincolnshire Limestone ashlar dressings. Machine-tile roofs.
EXTERIOR: three-stage tower with diagonal buttresses to three corners and a side buttress to the north-east. Polygonal stair turret to the south. Lancet west window and lancets to ringing chamber. Set-off below belfry stage added late C15: two-light transomed belfry windows. Flushwork crenellated parapet. South aisle west window of three lancets, north aisle window of cusped three-light Y tracery. South aisle with six two-light Y-tracery windows and a double hollow-chamfered south doorway. South porch rebuilt 1872: diamond chequerwork to south face, diagonal stepped buttresses and a wave-moulded outer arch; two-light side windows. The north aisle has five two-light Y-tracery windows. East end with three gables with windows of 1872. Centre window is a five-light Geometric design, five-light south aisle and four-light north aisle Perpendicular panel tracery.
INTERIOR: no internal division between nave and chancel except for a trefoiled timber arch. Eight-bay arcade of octagonal piers on moulded bases and with moulded capitals. Double-chamfered arches. C19 scissor-braced roofs, boarded to the chancel. Triple-chamfered tower arch. South-east tower buttress projects into nave. Late C14 octagonal font with damaged figures to the stem and scenes in the bowl depicting the seven sacraments plus the Last Judgement. Damage recorded in 1643. C19 polygonal pulpit and chancel parclose screens. Organ of 1904 by Norman and Beard moved here 1978-9 (formerly in St John's Lowestoft). Brass of a knight of the Bacon family, c1320: full length, military dress, cross-legged. Royal Arms painted on board: of Charles II, dated 1664.
Listing NGR: TG5244704408
Other nearby listed buildings