History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Dukes Head Public House

A Grade II Listed Building in Great Yarmouth, Norfolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6075 / 52°36'26"N

Longitude: 1.7238 / 1°43'25"E

OS Eastings: 652224

OS Northings: 307587

OS Grid: TG522075

Mapcode National: GBR YQY.JMC

Mapcode Global: WHNVZ.GQ2F

Entry Name: Dukes Head Public House

Listing Date: 27 June 1953

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1096839

English Heritage Legacy ID: 468477

Location: Great Yarmouth, Norfolk, NR30

County: Norfolk

District: Great Yarmouth

Town: Great Yarmouth

Electoral Ward/Division: Central and Northgate

Built-Up Area: Great Yarmouth

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Great Yarmouth

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in
Gorleston-on-Sea

Listing Text


GREAT YARMOUTH

TG5207NW HALL QUAY
839-1/12/43 (North East side)
27/06/53 No.13
Duke's Head Public House

GV II

Public house. Dated 1609. Knapped flint with stone dressings.
Machine-tile roof. 2 storeys and dormer attic; 4-window range.
To the left is a square carriage arch to rear yard. Two 6/6
horned sashes either side of the central doorway. 4
first-floor 6/6 horned sashes separated by a C20 panel
inscribed: `The Dukes Head Hotel'. Immediately over carriage
arch is a square stone plaque with a segmental shouldered head
with the date 1609 and initials S over R I. Gabled roof with 4
C20 dormers fitted with 6/6 horned sashes. Internal gable-end
stacks north and south. In the yard to the rear is a timber
crown-post roof truss attached to a wall: late C14, with
passing braces, from a former Guildhall on the site.
INTERIOR: ground floor opened out and modernised. First floor
front room with early C17 panelling and an elaborately carved
chimney-piece with twin segmentally-arched heads with
keyblocks supported by fluted pilasters. Either side are
engaged Corinthian columns. The panelling round the room is
divided by Corinthian pilasters and there is a modillion
cornice. Remainder of interior C20 in character.
(Various: Statutory List of Buildings of Special Architectural
Interest: London: 1974-: 19).

Listing NGR: TG5222407587

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.