History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former Brentford Fire Station

A Grade II Listed Building in Hounslow, London

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4847 / 51°29'5"N

Longitude: -0.3019 / 0°18'6"W

OS Eastings: 518002

OS Northings: 177565

OS Grid: TQ180775

Mapcode National: GBR 7Z.0KG

Mapcode Global: VHGQW.QY75

Entry Name: Former Brentford Fire Station

Listing Date: 2 October 1990

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1096874

English Heritage Legacy ID: 439902

Location: Hounslow, London, TW8

County: London

District: Hounslow

Electoral Ward/Division: Syon

Built-Up Area: Hounslow

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: Brentford St Paul

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Brentford

Listing Text

The following building shall be added:

High Street, Brentford
TQ 1877 and TQ 1777 NE
(south-east side)
18/232 and 14/232
No 55
II (Former Brentford Fire Station)

Fire station, now office. 1897 by T H Nowell Parr for Brentford District Council,converted late C20. Red brick in Flemish bond with terracotta dressings; imitation Welsh slate roof with crested terracotta ridge tiles. 2 storeys with 3-storey bay at rear. 3 bays below paired gables. Chamfered plinth; moulded cornices and strings; moulded buttresses with decorative finials, to angles rising from ground floor impost level, and to gables which are set with decorative tiles. Openings have late C20 glazing with glazing bars and quoined round arches; the 2 ground floor engine entrances have pilaster jambs with fluted capitals; quoined jambs to the three windows above; the outer windows linked to entrances below by broad, swept, corbels; foundation stone between entrances and plaque above with the legend 'Fire Station', and District's coat of arms. Truncated lateral stack to right return, left bay, rising above 3-light mullioned and transomed window with segmental pediment; on the right is window and door with 4 sashes over and another to taller rear bay; parapet with moulded strings and parapet. Left return: taller rear bay has full-height round-arched window with keyed archivolt; round-arched doorway to its right, and two lst floor sashes; 2 truncated stacks breaking parapet. Rear: central corbelled lateral stack (truncated) flanked by sashes which are segmental-arched on ground and 1st floors. Interior: late C20 partitioning and mezzanine floor. At top of rear left bay (the escape and hose tower) are 12 rings in the ceiling from which hoses would have been hung.


Listing NGR: TQ1800277565

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.