History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

King Edward's School

A Grade II Listed Building in Wormley, Surrey

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1372 / 51°8'13"N

Longitude: -0.6451 / 0°38'42"W

OS Eastings: 494891

OS Northings: 138416

OS Grid: SU948384

Mapcode National: GBR FDL.RQ7

Mapcode Global: VHFVZ.RPV3

Entry Name: King Edward's School

Listing Date: 28 October 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1096890

English Heritage Legacy ID: 439849

Location: Witley, Waverley, Surrey, GU8

County: Surrey

District: Waverley

Civil Parish: Witley

Built-Up Area: Wormley

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey

Church of England Parish: Witley

Church of England Diocese: Guildford

Find accommodation in
Witley

Listing Text

SU 93 NW WITLEY C.P. PETWORTH ROAD
Wormley

8/286 King Edward's School

II

School. 1867 by Sidney Smirke, extended by G. D. Sykes. Red brick with brown
brick diapering, stone plinth band and dressings, Bathstone angle quoins.
Hipped plain tiled roofs over. Three storeys with three stone-coped stacks
either side of centre. Symmetriclal design with projecting stone string courses
over plinth, ground floor and cornice to second floor. Stone coped parapet
above with square stone newels. One bay end pavilions projecting slightly with
one sash window on each floor, that on the second floor of 9 panes. All windows
in moulded stone chamfered surrounds. Shaped gables over end pavilions with
escutcheons above. 6 bay ranges with similar windows under cambered heads on
ground and first floors. Towered entrance bay with shaped gable to parapet stage.
Clock face to front, modillioned cornice below. Arched stone dressed niche in
Doric Order containing statue. Projecting piers flank entrance with paired
panelled pilasters supporting entablature across the ground floor. Stone carved
panels on sides of entrance bay including "Christ in the Garden" and a figure of
Athena. Paired sashes between piers. Rusticated and key-stoned arched through-
way with voussoirs over and brick barrel vault behind, two bays deep with doors
in return walls. Left hand return front:- One bay with further bay set back.
Stone portico to ground floor with keyed and arched door surround and angle
pilasters. Three storey C20 brick range to left connected by fire escapes to
front range not special interest.


Listing NGR: SU9489138416

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.