History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Lawrence Castle

A Grade II* Listed Building in Dunchideock, Devon

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.6641 / 50°39'50"N

Longitude: -3.5927 / 3°35'33"W

OS Eastings: 287530

OS Northings: 86148

OS Grid: SX875861

Mapcode National: GBR QS.3DMG

Mapcode Global: FRA 37CB.24R

Entry Name: Lawrence Castle

Listing Date: 12 February 1987

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1097067

English Heritage Legacy ID: 85427

Location: Dunchideock, Teignbridge, Devon, EX6

County: Devon

District: Teignbridge

Civil Parish: Dunchideock

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Dunchideock St Michael and All Angels

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Doddiscombsleigh

Listing Text

In the entry for the following:-

SX 88 NE DUNCHIDEOCK

3/8
Lawrence Castle
II*

The address and description shall be amended to read:-

SX 88 NE DUNCHIDEOCK

1806-/3/8
Lawrence Castle
12/02/87
II*

Memorial tower. 1788, built by Sir Robert Palk of Haldon House to commemorate and
celebrate Major-General Stringer Lawrence, died 1775, Commander of the British Army
in India and benefactor of Sir Robert Palk who was Governor of Madras in 1763.
Rendered stone rubble. Triangular plan with corner turrets. Gothic style. 3 storeys, with
plat bands to each storey and moulded cornice beneath castellated parapet. Glazing bar
sashes with switch tracery set in small pointed-arched windows to turrets; the intervening
bays have moulded architraves to similar but larger windows, the tripartite first-floor
windows having small flanking lancets. Similar architrave to pointed-arched doorway,
with switch-tracery overlight set over half-glazed doors. Interior reflects the Gothic style
of the exterior, and is noted as including high quality joinery and panelled doors set in
moulded architraves and fine neo-classical friezes and cornices with Gothic detailing;
principal first-floor room has fine Gothic style architraves in the style of Adam. Coade
stone statue of Major-General Stringer Lawrence on ground floor, dressed as Roman
general and set on pedestal, with boards in praise of his character and achievements on
each of the flat walls of the triangle. The first floor, once a small ballroom, has a
mahogany floor brought from India which tapers towards the centre; the stone
ground-floor floor is similarly constructed. Fine fireplaces to side rooms, including one
on first floor with Palk crest.
Open well staircase with wrought-iron handrail and plaster ornamental ceiling to top.
Similar to the earlier tower at Powderham (qv), both inspired by the triangular tower
built for the Duke of Cumberland in Windsor Great Park. The tower is also known as
the "Haldon Belvedere" and was formerly linked to Haldon House by a roadway.
(Cherry B and Pevsner N, The Buildings of England: Devon, 1989, p.342)

------------------------------------

DUNCHIDEOCK
SX 88 NE

3/8 Lawrence Castle
- II*

Memorial tower. 1788, built by Sir Robert Palk of Haldon House to commemorate and
celebrate Major-General Stringer Lawrence, died 1775, Commander of the British Army
in India and benefactor of Sir Robert Palk who was Governor of Madras in 1763.
Shillo over stone rubble.
The 3-storey tower is sited on top of Haldon Hill and is an impressive landmark.
Access unobtainable at time of survey (1985). The old list description refers to "3
sides with turrets on each corner, all castellated. Moulded string-course below
castellations. Small Gothic windows on top floor, larger ones on 1st floor with 3-
light windows in centre. Large pointed window in centre with lancets on side. Band
between floors".
Interior not inspected. The old description refers to a figure of Major-General
Stringer Lawrence on the ground floor "in Roman costume on a pedestal in the centre"
and "boards in praise of his character and achievements on each of the flat walls of
the triangle". The first floor, once a small ballroom has "a mahogany floor brought
from India and an elaborate plaster frieze showing Adam's influence. In another room
on the first floor is an "Adam" fireplace.
Lawrence tower is also known as the "Haldon Belvedere" and was formerly linked to
Haldon House by a roadway.


Listing NGR: SX8753086148

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.