History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old House

A Grade II Listed Building in Chudleigh, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 50.6031 / 50°36'11"N

Longitude: -3.6027 / 3°36'9"W

OS Eastings: 286674

OS Northings: 79376

OS Grid: SX866793

Mapcode National: GBR QR.1J15

Mapcode Global: FRA 37BG.XZ2

Entry Name: The Old House

Listing Date: 23 August 1955

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1097104

English Heritage Legacy ID: 85309

Location: Chudleigh, Teignbridge, Devon, TQ13

County: Devon

District: Teignbridge

Civil Parish: Chudleigh

Built-Up Area: Chudleigh

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Chudleigh St Martin and St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

CHUDLEIGH FORE STREET, (east side), Chudleigh
SX 8679
6/53 The Old House


House, formerly Pynsent's School, founded 1668 (date plaque). C19/early C20 rear left
addition, late C20 internal alterations. Whitewashed rendered stone; slate roof,
gabled at ends; end stacks and rear lateral stack to main range, end stack to rear
The main range is single depth, 3 rooms wide. A rear door opposed to the porch
suggests that there was originally a through passage arrangement; to the left of the
porch a very large room with no sign of an original stack (the left end stack appears
to be a modern addition). It has been suggested that this was originally the school
room and was open to the roof (1952 List Description). To the right of the porch
there are 2 rooms, 1 heated by the rear lateral stack, 1 heated by the right end
stack. A rear wing, at right angles to the lateral stack is 1 heated room on plan
and could be a later C17 kitchen, a parallel unheated wing may have been service
rooms. A further rear wing, at right angles to the left end of the main range is of
2 periods; the end of the wing is late C19/early C20 brick. The wing is in use as
flats. Late C20 single-storey addition to the rear right of the main range.
2-storeys. Asymmetrical 3+1+3 window front with a central 2-storey porch carried on
granite columns with square capitals and bases. Late C17 plank and cover strip door
with strap hinges in a chamfered doorway with jewelled scroll stops. Complete set of
co-eval windows; the ground floor windows are 4-lights with square leaded panes and 1
iron casement (some C20 repair to right hand windows), similar 3-light first floor
windows. A plaque on the front of the building is inscribed "John Pinsent of
Lincolns Inn Esq., born in this parish, hath erected this for a free school and
endowed it with Thirty Pounds Pannum (sil) Forever. 1668", coat of arms above
Interior The lateral stack has an open fireplace with ashlar jambs and a replaced
lintel below a relieving arch. The putative late C17 kitchen at the rear has a
chamfered cross beam with scroll stops and an open fireplace with 1 stone rubble jamb
and a replaced lintel. A C20 stair has been inserted in the position of the former
passage. Roofspace not inspected, principal rafters visible in the first floor rooms
appear to be straight.
The coat of Arms on the left end wall referred to in the 1952 list description no
longer exists.
The intact fenestration of the house, which forms a group with the church, is a
notable survival.

Listing NGR: SX8667479376

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.