History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Ruddycleave Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Buckland in the Moor, Devon

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.5535 / 50°33'12"N

Longitude: -3.7942 / 3°47'39"W

OS Eastings: 272991

OS Northings: 74173

OS Grid: SX729741

Mapcode National: GBR QF.LH0W

Mapcode Global: FRA 27YL.MNM

Entry Name: Ruddycleave Farmhouse

Listing Date: 23 August 1955

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1097118

English Heritage Legacy ID: 85244

Location: Buckland in the Moor, Teignbridge, Devon, TQ13

County: Devon

District: Teignbridge

Civil Parish: Buckland in the Moor

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Ashburton St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Widecombe in the Moor

Listing Text

BUCKLAND-IN-THE-MOOR
SX 77 SW
6/43 Ruddycleave Farmhouse
23.8.55
GV II

Longhouse. C16 altered circa 1760 and again in early C19. Granite rubble. Hipped
thatched roof; porch and lean-to in front slated. Old granite chimneys on ridge at
either side of porch. Plan has through-passage with 2 rooms to left; kitchen and
former shippon to right. Documentary evidence suggests the kitchen was formed out
of part of the shippon; there are, however, sharp differences in floor-levels at
this end of the building. Both hall and kitchen fireplaces back on to the through-
passage. 2 storeys with added single-storey lean-to in front. House-part is 3
windows wide; C19 casements with glazing-bars. Panel of slate-hanging between
upper and ground-storey windows in middle bay. Porch is gabled with segmental arch
of brick to the doorway C20 dormer window in roof of shippon.
Interior (ground storey only inspected) has few early features visible, although
others are almost certainly concealed under plaster. Documentary evidence suggests
the upper-floor beam in hall was not inserted until circa 1760.
Source. Information from Miss E Gawne, based on church accounts. Ruddycleave, or
Reddicliff, farm is believed to have been given to the church in 1566 and to have
been owned by them until at least C19 (White's Director of Devonshire, 1850,
p.431).


Listing NGR: SX7299174173

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.