This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.616 / 50°36'57"N
Longitude: -3.7721 / 3°46'19"W
OS Eastings: 274722
OS Northings: 81088
OS Grid: SX747810
Mapcode National: GBR QG.NGPX
Mapcode Global: FRA 27ZF.XZ0
Entry Name: Wingstone Farmhouse
Listing Date: 4 February 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1097221
English Heritage Legacy ID: 84984
Location: Manaton, Teignbridge, Devon, TQ13
Civil Parish: Manaton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Manaton St Winifred
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX 78 SW
4/51 Wingstone Farmhouse
Farmhouse. Mid C19 front block with earlier remains in rear wing. Coursed granite
rubble walls with dressed quoins and window arches. Rear wing rendered granite
rubble. Granite gable end chimneys with drip-courses. Dry slate roof with gable
Front block has one room on either side of central stair-hall with small service
rooms at rear forming double depth plan. Wide kitchen wing at rear of left hand
end probably retaining fabric from an earlier house.
2 storeys. Symmetrical 3 window south east front with large 2 light casements and
French windows either side on the ground floor all with segmental arched openings.
Central doorway has plastered surround with ashlar joint-lining, glazed door with
flush panels. Verandah along front of house has reeded and chamfered slender
timber posts and slate lean-to roof with carved plastered soffit; later roof lights
over ground floor windows. Stair window at rear with margin panes. Wide gable
ended wing at rear with large projecting end stack.
Interior: Front block contains open well staircase with turned newels, stick
balusters and moulded mahogany handrail ramped to newels: 1820-30. 6 panel doors
survive but somewhat altered by glazing. Main room of rear wing contains large
open fireplace with roughly chamfered wooden lintel and granite jambs. Adjoining
it is a smaller secondary hearth with wooden lintel at the same height, sharing the
monolithic jamb of the main hearth on the right-hand side and with a probably re-
used hollow chamfered granite jamb to the left side. This hearth has a separate
flue and at the same height as either of its jambs is a wide groove as if to take a
thick shelf. There are several possible purposes for this hearth: it may have been
for smoking bacon but the suggestion of a shelf makes a cream or slow cooking oven
more plausible as either would necessitate a hollowed-out shelf, underneath which a
small fire would be lit and the substance slowly heated on top.
From 1904-19 the novelist John Galsworthy stayed here and his work during this time
include some of the "Forsyte Saga" novels.
Listing NGR: SX7472281088
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings