This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.6179 / 50°37'4"N
Longitude: -3.7689 / 3°46'7"W
OS Eastings: 274958
OS Northings: 81297
OS Grid: SX749812
Mapcode National: GBR QG.NHHR
Mapcode Global: FRA 27ZF.RHX
Entry Name: Church Cottage
Listing Date: 23 August 1955
Last Amended: 4 February 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1097226
English Heritage Legacy ID: 84995
Location: Manaton, Teignbridge, Devon, TQ13
Civil Parish: Manaton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Manaton St Winifred
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX 78 SW
- Church Cottage (formerly
23.8.55 listed as part of Ivy Cottage)
House, formerly Church house. Early C16 probably remodelled in C18. Modernised
late C20. Granite rubble walls with large dressed granite quoins. South gable
Original plan much altered, layout of C18 plan probably remains: 2-room and central
stair hall, each room heated by end stacks.
2 storeys. Symmetrical 5-window front range. 3-light C20 casements with glazing
bars probably in C18 openings with squared timber lintels. First floor centre is a
2-light casement. Central doorway with C20 plank door with timber lintel. C20
thatched rustic wooden porch.
Rear facade has asymmetrical fenestration, mostly disposed to the right-hand end.
Right-hand first floor has early C16 2-light granite-framed mullion window with 4-
centred arched heads, hollow chamfered with recessed spandrels, possibly re-set. 2
reconstituted concrete mullion windows later C20 and 3 other smaller windows. Rear
wall possibly not rebuilt to same extent as front one.
Interior much altered but contains 3 roughly dressed cross beams, 2 in right-hand
ground floor room. The one nearest the gable end rests on stone corbel at either
end and has run-out stops and chamfer both sides, possibly re-used.
C18 8-bay roof consisting of straight principals morticed at apex with straight
collars, lapped and pegged to principals.
Walter Besant wrote some of his novels here.
Although altered in C18, this is an interesting example of a Church house in a very
Church house granted by deed dated 11 November 1597 to John Whiddon Sen., and
others for ever. The last trust deed is dated 1809. As the house became
dilapidated it was pulled down and then re-built as a poor-house at the expense of
the parish Source: G W Copeland, Devonshire Church-Houses part VI, Trans.
Devonshire Association Vol.XCVIII - 1966.
Listing NGR: SX7496281298
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings