This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.6726 / 50°40'21"N
Longitude: -3.7231 / 3°43'23"W
OS Eastings: 278334
OS Northings: 87301
OS Grid: SX783873
Mapcode National: GBR QJ.XWSG
Mapcode Global: FRA 3729.K9X
Entry Name: Ducksmoor Cottage
Listing Date: 4 February 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1097235
English Heritage Legacy ID: 85019
Location: Moretonhampstead, Teignbridge, Devon, TQ13
Civil Parish: Moretonhampstead
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Moretonhampstead St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX 78 NE
2/85 Ducksmoor Cottage
Cottage. Mid C17 with C19/C20 alterations and C20 addition. Rendered granite
rubble walls and similar gable end chimney stacks built up in brick, the left-hand
one projects with offsets. Thatched roof with gable ends.
Plan at present consists of 2 main rooms, the right-hand one larger, and a small
central room which might originally have been either an unheated service room or a
passage. Both main rooms heated by gable end stacks, each with newel staircase
rising beside fireplace, the left-hand one of stone. C20 wing at rear of left-hand
end, through which the house is entered.
2 storeys. Asymmetrical 4-window front with door to right of centre. Late C19 2-
light casements with glazing bars in small, possibly original, openings. Ground
floor centre window is single light casement. C20 rendered porch to right of
centre with gabled thatched roof and stable type door. At rear is small single
light stair window to either end, and flat-roofed single storey extension.
Interior is relatively unspoilt. Left-hand room has heavy cross beam, chamfered
with bar and hollow step stops. The wooden fireplace lintel has the same
decoration. The right-hand room has 2 roughly chamfered cross beams. The
fireplace is blocked but part of a chamfered wooden lintel is exposed. Possibly
original roof with substantial principal rafters and collars halved on.
In a survey of 1589 Ducksmoor was referred to as Minnerd and consisted only of a
plot of land; a survey of 1748 refers to it as a separate tenement. In 1718 -
Minnerd Plat - with a tenanted cottage. This evidence suggesting a C17 date for
the building of the cottage corroborates the architectural evidence.
Source Documentary evidence courtesy of owners.
As well as retaining a very unspoilt facade this cottage has kept it traditional
interior to a large extent.
Listing NGR: SX7833487301
Other nearby listed buildings