History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hearders Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Teigngrace, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 50.5544 / 50°33'15"N

Longitude: -3.6255 / 3°37'31"W

OS Eastings: 284948

OS Northings: 74000

OS Grid: SX849740

Mapcode National: GBR QP.YJ73

Mapcode Global: FRA 379L.MDK

Entry Name: Hearders Farmhouse

Listing Date: 3 July 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1097338

English Heritage Legacy ID: 84675

Location: Teigngrace, Teignbridge, Devon, TQ12

County: Devon

District: Teignbridge

Civil Parish: Teigngrace

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Teigngrace St Peter and St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

SX 87 SW

7/232 Hearders Farmhouse

- II

Farmhouse. Circa early C16 with circa 1600 wing and extensive alterations and
additions. Rendered stone and possibly some cob. Concrete tile roof with gabled
ends. 3-room plan, almost certainly originally with cross or through-passage which
is now altered. Circa 1600 rear (north) wing forming L-plan with C20 single storey
extensions, and C20 porch in the angle. Truncated internal lateral hall stack at
front. Stack at right hand (east) gable end of main range and another large
external stack at gable end of rear wing. 2 storeys. South front irregular 4-
window range. All C20 casements. Original doorway blocked and position concealed
by render. Present entrance in rear wing and C20 porch in the angle.
Interior: Main range has early C16 4-bay roof, left hand (west) end (possibly lower
end) rebuilt in C20. The other 3 bays have 3 trusses with threaded purlins,
diagonal ridge side-pegged morticed collars, centre collar over hall is cranked.
Most of the rafters survive. The 2 bays over the hall heavily smoke-blackened and
the end trusses of the hall are closed with smoke-blackened plaster. The central
hall truss is a cruck, possibly a jointed cruck, but the feet of the other 3
trusses are not visible. The inserted lateral hall stack's truncated top is
visible in roof space. A chamfered ceiling beam with step stop is partly visible
at the left hand (west) end.
The wing has principals with threaded purlins and diagonal ridge piece. The
principals are morticed for collars but the present collar is lap-jointed. Some
rafters survive. Roof timbers of wing are not smoke-blackened.

Listing NGR: SX8494874000

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.