History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Vicarage

A Grade II Listed Building in Hennock, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.6155 / 50°36'55"N

Longitude: -3.6543 / 3°39'15"W

OS Eastings: 283054

OS Northings: 80833

OS Grid: SX830808

Mapcode National: GBR QN.MNTD

Mapcode Global: FRA 377F.VJ2

Entry Name: The Vicarage

Listing Date: 3 July 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1097382

English Heritage Legacy ID: 84577

Location: Hennock, Teignbridge, Devon, TQ13

County: Devon

District: Teignbridge

Civil Parish: Hennock

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Hennock St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Hennock

Listing Text

HENNOCK HENNOCK
SX 8380

10/131 The Vicarage
-

GV II

Vicarage. Late Medieval, altered and probably enlarged in late C16 or C17; further
altered and enlarged circa.1906 by the then vicar, Robert Medley Fulford, a former
architect. Rendered cob and stone, with one wall of timber-framing; early C20
additions in red-brick and wood. Wheatreed thatched roofs, hipped at the front;
late C19 and early C20 red brick chimney stacks. U-shaped plan, the left arm
extended forward and other buildings added in the centre of the U circa 1906. The
range at the base of the U, which contains the earliest features, has a basically 3-
room and cross-passage plan but with unusual features. These include a long lower
room to left with a large chimney stack in the rear wall (possibly with an oven at
the back) and a centre room (now the kitchen, probably the former hall) with an
axial stack at the upper, right-hand end; in both cases the original fireplace is
plastered in. The layout seems to have been altered in late C19 or early C20 to
provide a main entrance on the east. 2 storeys. Little of the pre-1906 main front,
facing north, is now visible, because of the additions made at that date. The 2
arms of the U project this side, the left arm mostly obscured in the second storey
by a glazed wood gallery of circa 1906 with external staircase; The rear half of
gallery and staircase are well-preserved examples of their,period, the former with
its original glass intact. The right arm and almost all the base of the U are
concealed by a 2 storeyed block of circa 1906, but to the left of the latter is an
earlier 4-panelled door with 2 flush lower panels and a cast-iron knocker. The
inward facing wall of the older part of the left arm has C16 or C17 timber framing,
the only rural example of this technique known in Devon (except for some entrance
porches and minor details). The pegged, close-studded frame, standing on a high
stone plinth, is exposed under the gallery; it has early C20 brick nogging but is
clearly early, since a C16 or Cl7 flat-splay mullioned window has been cut into it
at one end and then largely removed before the nogging was inserted. In the second
storey (now concealed by the gallery) a complete 3-light wood window with flat-splay
mullions survives, each light having a vertical wood glazing-bar diagonally set in
its centre. Inner face of right wing has a C19 wood casement to left of ground
storey, this having 2 lights with 6 panes per light. Above it, in second storey, is
a 3 light wood casement, perhaps somewhat earlier, with 10 leaded panes per light.
To right of ground storey is a plank door. The gable of the right wing has in the
second storey a C19 wood casement of 2 lights with 8 panes per light. The south and
east fronts have almost a complete set of C19 wood framed windows with small panes.
Interior: the kitchen (believed to be the former hall) has late C16 or C17 upper
floor-beams, ovolo moulded with raised run out stops. Room to right of hall (the
"inner" room) has chamfered beam with run out stops. The former cross-passage,
which now has a window at the rear end, has a stud-and-panel screen on the right,
backing on to the kitchen. It has chamfered studs with diagonal cut stops and a
chamfered door-frame with a shouldered head; the doorway has been blocked and a
shouldered head door jamb from elsewhere inserted into the middle of it. At the
rear of the passage, overlapping the kitchen, is a projection, formerly containing a
newel stair, having a 2-light window with chamfered wood mullions. The right wing
has an axial stack with fireplace in south ground storey room this having hollow
moulded stone jambs. The roof of the main range has been heightened, but at least
one late C16 or C17 truss survives over the cross-passage, this having a notched
apex and collar fixed to the principals with pegged mortice-and-tenon joints. Over
the right wing is an apparently C19 roof with deal trusses designed in a late C16 or
early C17 style, the collars with shaped ends, halved and nailed to the principals.
Front courtyard: on the north side of the house is an old cobbled courtyard,
divided into 2 by a high rendered wall. Along the street frontage is a gatehouse
(q.v.) and a former barn, now in separate ownership as the village hall. (q.v.)
A glebe terrier of 1680 describes the house as containing a hall, parlour, kitchen
and 7 chambers, the parlour floor boarded but the hall and kitchen with earth
floors. A terrier of 1665 refers to a bakehouse, stable, stall and barn on the
premises.
Sources: information from the present vicar, Dr A G Lough, Devon Record Office,
Glebe Terriers 136.


Listing NGR: SX8301580895

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.