This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.6258 / 50°37'32"N
Longitude: -3.7434 / 3°44'36"W
OS Eastings: 276782
OS Northings: 82131
OS Grid: SX767821
Mapcode National: GBR QH.TXQZ
Mapcode Global: FRA 371F.3GM
Entry Name: South Harton Farmhouse
Listing Date: 23 August 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1097397
English Heritage Legacy ID: 84614
Location: Lustleigh, Teignbridge, Devon, TQ13
Civil Parish: Lustleigh
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Lustleigh
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX 78 SE
1/173 South Harton Farmhouse
Farmhouse. Late C16 or C17 with later additions; outer walls and one roof-truss
possibly late medieval. Solid, roughcast walls, partly at least of stone rubble.
Thatched roof; porch roof half-hipped. Large projecting chimneystack with offsets
and moulded cap in each gable and in rear wall, off centre to left. 3 room and
through-passage plan, all 3 ground storey rooms apparently having had fireplaces by
C17; 2-storeyed.entrance porch. 2 storeys, with .single storey additions at rear.
5-window front; all windows have C20 small-paned wood casements. Porch doorway has
C19 rough-faced granite surround. Above it is a cast-iron plaque with Prince of
Wales' feathers and motto 'Ich Dien'.
Interior: surprisingly plain. Simple chamfered and stopped beams; similar wood
lintels to fireplaces. Some good early C18 doors. Against rear wall of room at
upper end a cantilevered granite staircase. Roof timbers are mostly C18 or C19,
but at the upper end is a single jointed-cruck truss, each blade having face pegs
and a slip tenon; collar is straight with halved dovetail joints on to the blades,
these having slots for former threaded ridge piece and purlins. The halved collar
would usually be dated to the late C16 or early C17, but face-pegs are normally
medieval and the truss has possible traces of smoke-blackening. The title deeds
(in the owners' possession) start with the will of John Wills of Harton, yeoman, in
1780; he is described in 1800 (after his death) as a gentleman. The Wills and
Arthur families owned the farm throughout the C19 and early C20.
A very good set of farm buildings on the north side of the house. All are included
in the listing as part of the curtilage, but 4 items are separately listed. These
are the L-shaped range on the north-east and north-west sides of the farmyard,
including the gatehouse, the rear gateway and the linhay abutting the south-east
end of the range; a detached building and a manure pit in the centre of the yard,
and another detached building at the south-west end. The gateposts at the east end
of the lane are also separately listed.
Listing NGR: SX7678282131
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings