History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Stickwick House and Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Bovey Tracey, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.6075 / 50°36'27"N

Longitude: -3.6556 / 3°39'20"W

OS Eastings: 282946

OS Northings: 79951

OS Grid: SX829799

Mapcode National: GBR QN.N2J0

Mapcode Global: FRA 377G.FND

Entry Name: Stickwick House and Farmhouse

Listing Date: 23 August 1955

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1097423

English Heritage Legacy ID: 84473

Location: Bovey Tracey, Teignbridge, Devon, TQ13

County: Devon

District: Teignbridge

Civil Parish: Bovey Tracey

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Bovey Tracey St Peter, St Paul and St Thomas

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Hennock

Listing Text

BOVEY TRACEY
SX 87 NW

5/30 Stickwick House and
- Farmhouse
23.8.55

- II

House, with farmhouse in left wing. Built 1780-2 for Robert Hole. Stone covered
with roughcast. Centre block has slated roof with a brick chimneystack in each
gable. Left wing has concrete-tiled roof with chimneystack in rear wall; right
wing has asbestos-slated roof. House consists of a tall double-depth centre block
with catslide roof over rear part; lower, 1-room-deep wing on either side. 2
storeys, with garret in centre block. The general shape of the house, including the
low wings, corresponds to that shown in a drawing of 1836, with relatively little
subsequent alteration, except in the right wing. Centre block has a symmetrical
front 3 windows wide with raised stucco quoins at either end. Doorway, in centre
bay of ground storey, has C20 door and porch; in 1836 there was an open-sided porch
with 2 columns in front supporting a triangular pediment. Windows have segmental
arches and triple wood sashes, the middle sashes with 6 panes each and the side-
sashes with 2 panes. All but the left-hand sash in each storey are C20
replacements. In the roof are 3 hipped dormer windows of 3 lights, the centre
lights of 2 panes, the outer lights of 2 smaller panes with a transom-light above;
the 1836 drawing, though sketchy on this point, suggests that they may have been
altered. The left wing is 3 windows wide, all but the left-hand ground storey
window (which is C20) having old 3-light wood casements with 6 panes per light;
these could be original, despite the fact that the 1836 drawing shows 2-light
casements with 8 panes per light. Centre doorway has wooden hood, possibly
original, on shaped brackets. Right wing has been completely re-windowed in C20,
though in character with left wing. Ground storey of left wing has its original
fireplace; remainder of interiors not inspected. The original building account
survives, showing that Robert Hole 'begun to lay the foundation' on 18 May 1780;
most of the work was completed by January 1782, but the final bill was not paid
until 25 October 1785. Chimneypieces were provided by Mr Robinson of Chudleigh.
The parlour and parlour chamber were hung with paper. The roof was slated from the
first. Lime ashes were used for the floors. Cost £591-10-8.
Sources: Devon Record Office - Annie Croker's sketchbook (2160A add 14/PZ1), deeds
312M/TH132-48 and TH537-41), building contract (312 M/EH3).


Listing NGR: SX8294679951

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.