This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.6578 / 50°39'27"N
Longitude: -3.3167 / 3°19'0"W
OS Eastings: 307025
OS Northings: 85057
OS Grid: SY070850
Mapcode National: GBR P6.N9WY
Mapcode Global: FRA 37YB.FPT
Entry Name: Salem Church Including Boundary Walls and Assembly Room
Listing Date: 30 June 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1097511
English Heritage Legacy ID: 86317
Location: East Budleigh, East Devon, Devon, EX9
District: East Devon
Civil Parish: East Budleigh
Built-Up Area: East Budleigh
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: East Budleigh All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
EAST BUDLEIGH VICARAGE ROAD
ST 08 NE
3/115 Salem Church including boundary
30.6.61 walls and assembly room.
Built as a Presbyterian chapel, later Congregational chapel, Evangelical Church
since 1975. 1719, refurbished 1836 according to the date plaque. Plastered walls
are thick enought to be cob on stone rubble footings; slate roof.
Square building facing south-east with entrances left and right of the front under
the gallery at this end. A C19 vestry projects at right angles from rear to right
Front wall contains 2 panelled doors in low segmental headed arches. High in the
wall in the centre is a rectangular limestone plaque inscribed, 'Salem Chapel, built
1719', and the sill is inscribed, 'enlarged 1836', (referring to an increase in
seating capacity rather than structural alterations). The wall is lightly incised
as ashlar and the corners have stucco quoins. Roof is hipped each end on all sides.
Each side wall contains 2 tall segmental-headed windows containing replacment
mullion-and-transom windows with glazing bars. The rear wall contains 2 tall and
narrow round-headed windows with the 1836 pattern of glazing bars intersecting at
Interior. The gallery across the front end is original with fielded panels over a
dentil cornice. Those along the sides were added in 1836. These are supported on
slender cast iron circular columns with moulded caps. They have a lower frieze
comprising a fret pattern below panels with concave corners which contain rosettes.
The moulded and bracketed cornice is original; so too is the vaulted ceiling rising
at the centre from an iron post which replaced the original timber post. The timber
preaching desk and benches are probably late C19 but some earlier box pews remain in
the galleries. C18 painted clock-face on north-east gallery.
The small vestry contains late C19 4-panel door and 3-light casement with glazing
bars. The assembly room in the eastern corner of the churchyard has a 2-window
front of early C19 30-pane sashes, one either side of a later 4-panel door. Another
30-pane sash on the left end and on the right end a wide doorway to a basement. The
small churchyard is enclosed by a whitewashed rubble and brick wall, more brick to
the front. Front wall has plain square gate piers and contains C19 cast iron double
gates (spear headed rails alternately full height and to the lock bar) and wrought
iron overthrow enriched with scrolls and including a lamp holder.
A well preserved and unusually early Non-Conformist Chapel.
Source: C. Stell. RCHM Inventory of Non-Conformist Chapels (Forthcoming)
Listing NGR: SY0702585057
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings