This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.6639 / 50°39'49"N
Longitude: -3.3132 / 3°18'47"W
OS Eastings: 307283
OS Northings: 85733
OS Grid: SY072857
Mapcode National: GBR P6.MYMY
Mapcode Global: FRA 37YB.31K
Entry Name: Lych Gate Approximately 12 Metres South West of Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 30 June 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1097553
English Heritage Legacy ID: 86216
Location: Bicton, East Devon, Devon, EX9
District: East Devon
Civil Parish: Bicton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: East Budleigh All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
BICTON BICTON PARK
SY 08 NE
3/15 Lych gate approximately 12 metres
- south-west of Church of St Mary
Lych gate. Circa 1850 probably by J Hayward. Local pinky-brown conglomerate
sandstone with lightly-tooled rusticated grey limestone ashlar quoins and cream-
coloured sandstone detail; red tile roof with fleur-de-lys crested ridge tiles.
Both sides are identical. They contain wide 2-centred chamfered arches. The ends
are buttressed and have weathered offsets. The top of each arch is flanked by
circular medallions with moulded frames and contain fleuree crosses in bas relief.
Along the top is a moulded cornice with ballflower enrichment. The roof is hipped
The lych gate contains timber double gates. These are panelled with diagonal planks
below the lockrail and open above containing vertical struts with chamfered edges
and the top rail cut to give ogee arches over the gaps. The top rail has a cast
iron crest of fleur-de-lys.
Listing NGR: SY0728585732
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings