History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

White Lodge

A Grade II* Listed Building in Clyst St Mary, Devon

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.7089 / 50°42'32"N

Longitude: -3.451 / 3°27'3"W

OS Eastings: 297642

OS Northings: 90926

OS Grid: SX976909

Mapcode National: GBR P3.1X4K

Mapcode Global: FRA 37N6.HCV

Entry Name: White Lodge

Listing Date: 11 November 1952

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1097571

English Heritage Legacy ID: 86160

Location: Clyst St. Mary, East Devon, Devon, EX5

County: Devon

District: East Devon

Civil Parish: Clyst St. Mary

Built-Up Area: Clyst St Mary

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Clyst St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Clyst Saint Mary

Listing Text

CLYST ST MARY CLYST ST MARY BY-PASS
SX 99 SE
1/24 White Lodge
11.ll.52
-

- II*

The most elaborate of the former lodges to Winslade Park (q.v.). 1812. Stucco.
Single-depth range with single room on either side of central entrance; designed to
appear as "a miniature Greek temple". Single storey.
Front: Symmetrical 3 bays. Entablature with cornice and triglyphs in frieze
continues around the whole building. At the ends it is supported on pilasters, at
the front it breaks forward at the centre with a pedimental portico supported on
paired Greek Doric columns, and breaks forward again at either end where it is
similarly supported on paired Greek Doric columns. Pilaster quoins, pilasters also
divide the bays. Central doorway with lugged architrave and pediment; side bays
each occupied by a 12-pane hornless sash window. A parapet returns to form the
double-stepped base, incised with key motifs, of the internal end stacks, the shaft
plastered with moulded caps. Rear with central pediment but no portico. A low
wall, probably contemporary, was to the south along the main road. C20 additions
tor ear and right-hand end. The architect is not known; Pevsner considers it 'a
composition worthy of an architect like Burton or Wilkins' (SD, p.82).


Listing NGR: SX9764290926

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.