This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.7114 / 50°42'41"N
Longitude: -3.4398 / 3°26'23"W
OS Eastings: 298438
OS Northings: 91189
OS Grid: SX984911
Mapcode National: GBR P3.MLLD
Mapcode Global: FRA 37P6.7QT
Entry Name: Linhay Immediately North-West of Ivington Farmhouse
Listing Date: 19 March 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1097574
English Heritage Legacy ID: 86164
Location: Sowton, East Devon, Devon, EX5
District: East Devon
Civil Parish: Sowton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Sowton St Michael and All Angels
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX 99 SE
1/29 Linhay immediately north-west
- of Ivington Farmhouse
Linhay with tallet above, forming the north-west range of a planned farmstead.
Built in 1846 by the Garretts of Bishop's Court as the Home Farm. Red brick in
Flemish bond; dry slate roof, gabled-end to left, hipped to right. 8 bays, with
brick piers between linhays, timber posts above between bays of tallet. To the
left, and under the continuous roof which connects with the end of the bank barn
(q.v.)., is a wagon entrance from the main farmyard to the rear yard. Breezeblock
and corrugated infill to some of the bays has not damaged the 1846 fabric.
Roof: tie beam and 2 diagonal struts to each truss.
A pigsty that formed a short range between the end of the linhay and the farmhouse
(q.v.) is the only part of this otherwise complete and well-preserved planned
farmhouse to have been demolished.
Listing NGR: SX9843891189
Other nearby listed buildings