This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.7239 / 50°43'25"N
Longitude: -3.4517 / 3°27'5"W
OS Eastings: 297629
OS Northings: 92587
OS Grid: SX976925
Mapcode National: GBR P3.0WY4
Mapcode Global: FRA 37N5.949
Plus Code: 9C2RPGFX+G8
Entry Name: The Old Rectory
Listing Date: 11 November 1952
Last Amended: 19 March 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1097584
English Heritage Legacy ID: 86197
Location: Sowton, East Devon, Devon, EX5
Civil Parish: Sowton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Sowton St Michael and All Angels
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SOWTON SOWTON LANE (south side)
SX 99 SE
1/61 The Old Rectory (formerly listed
- as the Rectory House)
Substantial detached house, formerly Sowton Rectory. Built 1722 (dated rainwater
heads), possibly incorporating remains of an earlier house. Brick, in Flemish
bond, with burnt headers. Slate and leaded roof, concealed by parapet. Basically a single-depth house, with a rear corridor and external stair turret built to the rear of the (now internal) cob wall that presumably is a survival from the earlier house. There was probably a wing to the rear of the left-hand room, which now connects to the service rooms, which are arranged around a small rear courtyard. The present main entrance is to the right-hand end, giving into the corridor; there is evidence of there having been a central front entrance (now gone) and perhaps the present aedicule was removed from here. Two axial stacks. The left-hand stack is unusual in that although it heats the 2 left-hand rooms, there is space between the backs of the fireplaces which is now occupied by the kitchen; the flues meet above this, forming arches in the first floor rooms. 2 storeys, with an attic, formerly containing the servants' quarters.
Front: symmetrical 5-window range; all windows with 12-pane hornless sashes, and
depressed window arches. Parapet conceals 3 gabled half-dormers. Left-hand
elevation : first floor with a tripartite 4:12:4 pane sash window to principal
bedroom, and a 12 pane hornless sash window to the left of this; ground floor :
Regency veranda, with a bowed 4-light window, 4 panes per light, with external
shutters. French windows to the left of this. Right-hand end : three 12-pane
hornless sash windows, 2 to the first floor, 1 to ground floor to the left of the
entrance, an aedicule with 2 Tuscan half columns, open pediment, panelled reveals, soffit and door with semi-circular fanlight. Service buildings to rear, all intact, including a kitchen lit from the roof.
Interior with internal shutters and other C18 and C19 joinery.
Listing NGR: SX9762992587
Other nearby listed buildings