This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.6395 / 50°38'22"N
Longitude: -3.4746 / 3°28'28"W
OS Eastings: 295823
OS Northings: 83242
OS Grid: SX958832
Mapcode National: GBR P2.MH4Z
Mapcode Global: FRA 37MC.S7N
Entry Name: Kenton School
Listing Date: 11 November 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1097676
English Heritage Legacy ID: 85911
Location: Kenton, Teignbridge, Devon, EX6
Civil Parish: Kenton
Built-Up Area: Kenton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Kenton All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
KENTON MAMHEAD ROAD (east side), Kenton
SX 98 SE
6/245 Kenton School
School formerly church house. Probably circa early C16 origins, much altered
subsequently. Red sandstone, some ashlar masonry visible on the rear, rendered to
the front elevation; slate roof, gabled at ends; end stacks, 2 projecting rear
lateral stacks with dismantled shafts.
Plan: Original plan difficult to assess as much of the evidence is concealed by
modern plaster and the internal partitions may be new. Single depth range, with 3
large rooms at present. Cross passage to left of centre, two C16 style doorframes on
the front (one to the passage) are concrete or reconstituted stone and could be re-
facings of original doorframes or copies, or entirely new. Carpentry in the right
end room is plainer than the high quality moulded ceiling beams to the left of centre
suggesting a lower status for the right end of the range. A small block to the rear
of the range at the right end, and at right angles to it, is probably a C19 or C20
addition; 2 C20 flat-roofed single storey additions against the rear wall.
Exterior: 2 storeys. Long asymmetrical 6 window front with regular fenestration and
2 segmental arched doorframes with hollow chamfers and square-headed hoodmoulds;
front doors plank with studded cover strips, the right hand door with a glazed
rectangle cut into it. Set of C19 2-light timber casements with small panes. The
rear elevation has some exposed ashlar masonry in large block, some rubble masonry
and some brick repair. Both rear lateral stacks are capped off below the level of
the shaft, the rear left stack has set offs; 5 first floor and 2 ground floor C19
Interior: 2 nicely moulded ceiling beams to left of centre, plasterboard possibly
concealing old joists. Chamfered crossbeam to ground floor right. The fireplaces
are blocked, early lintels and jambs may survive. First floor not fully inspected
but the roof trusses appear to be entirely concealed: they could be of interest but
may have been replaced.
A copy of the charity commissioners report of 1823 held in the school states; "By
deed, bearing date 14th April, 1559, Carew Courtney Esq., granted .... a house,
called the Church House, with the appurtenances in Kenton, (which appears from the
same deed to have been previously granted King Edward VI, in 1550 to William Moyle
and another ...". The same report mentions that the "...house, curtilage and
outbuildings ... have been for many years used as the habitation of the poor."
An extremely interesting building, likely to retain interior features not visible at
time of survey,.
Listing NGR: SX9582283246
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings