This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.6783 / 50°40'41"N
Longitude: -3.6837 / 3°41'1"W
OS Eastings: 281136
OS Northings: 87862
OS Grid: SX811878
Mapcode National: GBR QM.9MB5
Mapcode Global: FRA 3758.W64
Entry Name: Woodlands Farmhouse and Barn Adjoining at North East
Listing Date: 11 November 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1097829
English Heritage Legacy ID: 85572
Location: Bridford, Teignbridge, Devon, EX6
Civil Parish: Bridford
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Bridford St Thomas a Becket
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
BRIDFORD HEATH LANE
SX 88 NW
2/52 Woodlands Farmhouse and barn
ajoining at north east
Farmhouse and adjoining barn. Farmhouse probably early C16 in origin, remodelled
circa early/mid C17. Late C17 threshing barn. House whitewashed plastered cob on
stone rubble footings ; thatched roof, gabled at ends ; projecting right end stack
with granite shaft, axial stack with granite shaft, projecting rear lateral stack
with 2 bread ovens. Threshing barn cob and stone rubble with a corrugated iron
roof (formerly thatched), adjoining the rear right wing of the house.
Plan: L plan house with a rear right wing, parallel to the lane, the threshing barn
adjoins the wing. The farmhouse is probably a late medieval open hall house in
origin (no access to apex of roof). The present arrangement is a 4 room and cross
passage plan, lower end parlour to the right, hall stack backing on to passage,
kitchen at the higher end with an added dairy at the extreme left. Hall stair in
rear projection, further stairs to the rear of the parlour and an axial stair
against the rear wall of the dairy with access from the kitchen. A rear right 1
room plan wing at the lower end was originally accessible only from the exterior.
The exact evolution of the house is not clear; the earliest roof truss is over the
hall and there appears to have been some re-roofing over the lower end. C17
panelling in the kitchen is probably re-sited but suggests that this room once had
a higher status.
Exterior: 2 storeys. 6 window asymmetrical front, the eaves thatch eyebrowed over
the 3 left hand windows. C20 front door to cross passage with a porch canopy on
posts, further doorway into dairy at left. 2- and 3-light C19 and C20 timber
casements with glazing bars. The right return has 2 C20 windows to the wing. The
rear elevation of the house is blind with one rounded bread oven and one
rectangular brick bread oven to the rear lateral stack, and a shallow rectangular
stair projection to the hall.
Interior: The hall has an open fireplace with moulded jambs and a timber lintel, 2
exposed crossbeams and a plank and muntin screen at the higher end with chamfered
stopped muntins. A right angled section of plank and muntin screening with ovolo-
moulded muntins forms a draught excluder adjacent to the open hearth. The inner
room kitchen has a partly-blocked fireplace and a plastered over crossbeam. The
plank and muntin screen to the hall is faced on this side with C17 panelling. The
lower end parlour has a moulded crossbeam, the present fireplace probably conceals
earlier jambs and lintel.
Roof: No access to apex at time of survey (1986), but one truss over the hall is
either a true or raised cruck, the timbers visible over the lower end appear to be
A single storey threshing barn adjoins the rear right wing of the house. The barn
has a large doorway in the centre, opposed rear door. 2 pegged collar rafter roof
trusses with principal rafters with curved feet.
The house may have been the home of Richard de le Wodelande (1281).
An exceptionally good group with thatched farmbuildings round the yard in front of
Listing NGR: SX8113687862
Other nearby listed buildings