This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8703 / 50°52'13"N
Longitude: -3.2519 / 3°15'6"W
OS Eastings: 312004
OS Northings: 108610
OS Grid: ST120086
Mapcode National: GBR LT.TKZ5
Mapcode Global: FRA 462S.WFJ
Entry Name: Church of St James
Listing Date: 27 January 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1097999
English Heritage Legacy ID: 87183
Location: Sheldon, East Devon, Devon, EX14
District: East Devon
Civil Parish: Sheldon
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Sheldon St James the Greater
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
ST 10 NW
3/182 (1/1) Church of St James
Small parish church. Norman font, C15 tower, rest rebuilt in 1871. Tower is local
stone rubble with Beerstone ashlar detail, rest is flint with Membury stone dressings
and detail; slate roof.
Plan: Nave with lower and narrower chancel. No aisles. South porch. West tower.
Exterior: C15 west tower of 2 stages, unbuttressed with embattled parapet which
includes a Beerstone niche on the north side. Belfry windows of different styles.
West doorway is blocked and above is 3-light window with Perpendicular tracery and
plain hood. Rest of church was rebuilt in 1871 and has single and double lancet
windows each side and 3-light east window with plate tracery. Gabled south porch has
2-centred outer arch with chamfered surround; similar south door.
Interior: Mostly dates from 1871. Nave and chancel have boarded roofs carried on
open king post trusses with curving collars. Chancel arch is plain ashlar 2-centred
arch. Plain tower arch of indeterminate date. Walls are plastered. Floor of flags
and tiles, encaustic tiles in chancel. Altar table, altar rail, stalls and benches
all pine with a minimum of Gothic decoration. Oak rood screen mostly a 1939 rebuild
of the original C15 but some of the tracery is original. Pulpit also incorporates
some old carved oak. Norman font is Beerstone with plain circular bowl on
cylindrical shaft. No monuments.
Listing NGR: ST1200408610
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings