This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.8155 / 50°48'55"N
Longitude: -3.194 / 3°11'38"W
OS Eastings: 315977
OS Northings: 102447
OS Grid: ST159024
Mapcode National: GBR LX.XW3K
Mapcode Global: FRA 466Y.1HB
Entry Name: The Abbots
Listing Date: 27 January 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1098018
English Heritage Legacy ID: 87128
Location: Combe Raleigh, East Devon, Devon, EX14
District: East Devon
Civil Parish: Combe Raleigh
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Combe Raleigh
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
COMBE RALEIGH COMBE RALEIGH
SY 10 SE
6/127 The Abbots
House. Late C18 with late C19/early C20 alterations. According to Polwhele it was
built in 1790 by the Reverend Herman Drewe. Whitewashed and rendered, probably stone
rubble; bitumen-painted 2-span slate roof, gabled at ends; left end stack with a
dismantled shaft, rear left lateral stack with a dismantled shaft, right end stack.
Plan: double depth plan, 2 rooms wide with a wide entrance hall, the stair rising
from the hall at rear left. The rear left room is a morning room or dining room,
rear right service rooms, the kitchen was formerly in a service wing adjoining at the
right end and set back: this has been altered and converted to a separate house.
Exterior: 2 storeys and attic. Symmetrical 3 bay front with a central open timber
porch on posts with a moulded cornice, recessed half-glazed front door with panelled
reveals. C18 or early C19 first floor sash windows: tripartite timber sashes to left
and right. The ground floor windows are probably late C19 or early C20 bay windows
with tent roofs, glazed with transomed casements with small panes above the transom.
The left return has a similar canted bay to the ground floor, a 12-pane C18 or early
C19 sash and a pair of C18 or early C19 2-light small-pane casements to the attic,
similar attic windows on right return. The rear elevation has 3 C18 casements with
square leaded panes: 2 on the first floor, one on the ground floor; one first floor
12-pane late C18 or C19 timber sash and a C20 back door.
Interior: Both the principal rooms to the front have plaster cornices, one decorated;
elaborate chimney-pieces said to have been imported fran Venice in the C20; deep
skirting boards and other original joinery. The stair is rather old-fashioned for
1790 but fine, with an open string, slender turned balusters, a flat-topped ramped
handrail and a dado of fielded panelling. A flag floor survives to the rear of the
entrance hall and in the axial passage that formerly lead to the kitchen.
Herman Drewe of the Drewe family of Grange, Broadhembury, was Rector of Wooton
Fitzpaine, an estate which his mother brought to the Drewe family and perpetual
curate of Sheldon as well as Rector of Combe Raleigh.
An attractive villa, at one time the centre of the Combe Raleigh Estate.
Listing NGR: ST1597702447
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings