This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.7954 / 50°47'43"N
Longitude: -3.2185 / 3°13'6"W
OS Eastings: 314220
OS Northings: 100248
OS Grid: ST142002
Mapcode National: GBR LW.Z8F7
Mapcode Global: FRA 464Z.PZL
Entry Name: Weston Manor
Listing Date: 22 February 1955
Last Amended: 27 January 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1098051
English Heritage Legacy ID: 87109
Location: Awliscombe, East Devon, Devon, EX14
District: East Devon
Civil Parish: Awliscombe
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Awliscombe St Michael and All Angels
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SY 10 SW
5/105 Weston Manor (formerly
listed as Bridge House)
House. Probably early C17 (chimney dated 1625) with a later block probably 1854
(datestone) very thorough C20 alterations of the late 1950s involving the importation
of woodwork of all dates from elsewhere. Rendered, probably stone and cob; 2-span
slate roof, gabled at ends; stacks with rendered shafts.
Plan: South-facing double depth plan, the rear block probably early C17 and perhaps a
3 room and through passage plan in origin, possibly with a room missing from the west
end. A 2-room wide south block has been added at the front, probably in 1854.
Exterior: 2 storeys. 2-bay south front with a probably C19 central porch on posts,
C20 2-leaf front door, 1950s windows. The right return of the rear block has 3 C17
ovolo-moulded stone mullioned windows. The other elevations have a variety of C20
windows including several 1950s stone mullioned windows.
Interior: It is very difficult to ascertain what is original and what is imported.
Original features in the rear block appear to be a fine but incomplete section of
decorated plasterwork on the first floor wall of the rear left hand room (which is
now open to the first floor ceiling); a moulded stone chimney-piece with a Tudor arch
to first floor room right and the jointed cruck roof construction of the rear block.
Imported features include a good C17 dog-leg staircase with turned balusters,
numerous pieces of woodwork of a C16, C17 and C19 gate; very fine 1840s marble Gothic
chimney-piece in front room left, said to have originated from Upottery House, and
extensive fragments and panels of C19 stained glass.
Listing NGR: ST1422000248
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings