History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Wadhayes Farmhouse

A Grade II* Listed Building in Awliscombe, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.8216 / 50°49'17"N

Longitude: -3.2275 / 3°13'38"W

OS Eastings: 313632

OS Northings: 103173

OS Grid: ST136031

Mapcode National: GBR LW.XD5B

Mapcode Global: FRA 464X.LFT

Entry Name: Wadhayes Farmhouse

Listing Date: 22 February 1955

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1098096

English Heritage Legacy ID: 87012

Location: Awliscombe, East Devon, Devon, EX14

County: Devon

District: East Devon

Civil Parish: Awliscombe

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Awliscombe St Michael and All Angels

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Broadhembury

Listing Text

AWLISCOMBE
SY 10 SW

5/10 Wadhayes Farmhouse
22.2.55

GV II*

Farmhouse. Late Medieval origins, modernized and probably extended in 1621
(datestone), some C18 refurbishment, some minor C20 alterations. Roughcast, probably
stone rubble; red pantile roof, hipped at the left end, gabled at the right end
(probably formerly thatched); right end stack and 2 axial stacks, all with brick
shafts.
Plan: Complex evolution. The present arrangement is U plan: a south-facing main
range, 3 rooms wide with a throughh passage to right of centre and rear left (west)
and right (east) crosswings at right angles to the main range. A small yard to the
rear (north), between the crosswings, is closed on the north side by a C17
farmbuilding (separately listed q.v.). The core of the main range is a late Medieval
(late C15/early C16) open hall house of high quality of which 3 smoke-blackened arch
braced trusses survive over the higher (west) end. A date of 1621 is carved over the
front (south) door of the passage which is flanked by mullioned windows matching the
doorframe. The date may refer to a general modernization, probably the flooring of
the hall and introduction of chimney stacks (the hall stack backing on to the
passage), as well as the doorframe and mullioned windows. The lower (east) end,
probably extended at the same time, seems to have functioned as the principal parlour
after 1621, judging from the size of the window, but was subsequently used as a
kitchen, the adjoining dairy crosswing could be an C18 addition. The history of the
higher (west) end is more complex. The crosswing at this end is of at least a C17
date (exposed carpentry on the ground floor), but the west end room of the main range
is plain, suggesting some rebuilding, possibly in the C18. An C18 date is likely for
the rear axial passage between the crosswing and the through passage: this has
reduced the size of the centre room in the main range and partitioned it off from the
winder stair that rises on the rear (north) wall. A possibly C17 archway gives
access to the narrow north courtyard between the house and a C17 farmbuilding
parallel to it.
Exterior: 2 storeys. Asymmetrical 3-window south front. The C17 front door to the
through passage has a moulded Beerstone frame with a Tudor arch and moulded
spandrels. The name John Parris, is carved in Gothic letters on the lintel with the
date of 1621. The porch is most unusual : an open timber structure on posts with a
flat lead roof concealed behind a deep moulded cornice, the posts (C20 replacements)
support C17 Tudor arched lintels with moulded spandrels. The lintels and cornice
appear to be C17 but the form of the porch looks early C19 as does a timber frieze
which covers the junction between the cornice and lintels. The soffit of the porch
roof is boarded with probably Medieval Gothic blind tracery. The 2 Beerstone ground
floor windows are almost certainly 1621, the right hand window is 6 lights with
ovolo-moulded mullions and a hoodmould with label stops. A matching 4-light window
to the left has a king mullion and hoodmould with label stops. The 3 first floor
windows are late C20 timber casements. There are pigeon holes on the right return of
the range end, adjoining the north east wing, a section of stone rubble wall encloses
the rear (north) courtyard with a Tudor arched probably early C17 stone doorframe
with a keystone.
Interior: The left hand (west) end only inspected at time of survey. The rooms to
the left of the passage and the north-east crosswing have exposed chamfered ceiling
beams of a C17 date. An C18 cupboard with fielded panels indicates an C18 or earlier
date of the axial passage to the rear of the main range. A wide winder stair rises
from this passage. The right hand room, not fully seen at time of survey (1987) has
exposed crossbeams and an open fireplace.
Roof: A high quality Medieval roof survives over the left hand (west) end of the main
range. 3 massive, heavily-sooted, arch-braced trusses with chamfered braces and
peaked collars. The trusses are some form of cruck construction but the principals
are plastered-over in the first floor room so the type of cruck was not apparent on
survey. The trusses have triangular strenghtening pieces below the apex and a
diagonally-set ridge and are unsual in that each principal has a neat face-pegged
scarf joint above collar level. The purlins and rafters are intact. Flanking the
inserted axial stack, on each side of the ridge, a horizontal timber is fixed between
2 adjacent rafters with a mortise joint. The roof is particularly heavily encrusted
with soot at this point and it seems likely that the 2 horizontal timbers are part of
a medieval arrangement for smoke escape. Over the right end of the house the roof
appears to be an C18 replacement.
An exceptionally interesting large house of Medieval origins, the Medieval roof
carpentry of a particularly high quality. The mullioned windows, doorframes and
porch are unusual survivals annd the evolved plan form, including the early
farmbuilding, reflects stages in the development of the house from the circa early
C16 to the C18.


Listing NGR: ST1363203173

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.