This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.7509 / 50°45'3"N
Longitude: -3.3521 / 3°21'7"W
OS Eastings: 304708
OS Northings: 95462
OS Grid: SY047954
Mapcode National: GBR P5.W09G
Mapcode Global: FRA 37V3.CVN
Plus Code: 9C2RQJ2X+94
Entry Name: Strete Ralegh Farmhouse
Listing Date: 11 November 1952
Last Amended: 24 October 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1098118
English Heritage Legacy ID: 86966
Location: Whimple, East Devon, Devon, EX5
Civil Parish: Whimple
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Whimple St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SY 09 NW
5/211 Strete Ralegh Farmhouse
Farmhouse. Dated 1853. Red brick with diaper pattern of black brick, chamfered
plinth and red sandstone footings; brick stacks and chimneyshafts; roof of scallop
tiles, grey with red diaper design, matching the walls.
Plan: double depth plan farmhouse facing south, 2 rooms wide and 2 deep. The front
rooms are the principal rooms, one each side of the central cross passage. Parlour
to left has a gable-end stack and dining room to right has a rear lateral stack.
Parlour is separated from the dairy behind by a staircase, and dining room is
separated from the rear kitchen by a passage from the stairs out the right (east)
end. Kitchen has a disused rear lateral stack. 2 storeys.
Exterior: symmetrical 3-window front of C20 casements with glazing bars. All the
windows have chamfered reveals and plain brick hoodmoulds over. Central doorway
contains the original plank door with overlight but the gabled porch is mid C20.
(The original was described in the previous list). The main roof is gable-ended and
made up of 2 parallel roofs. The double-gabled right (east) end has a nearly
symmetrical 3-window front in the same style as the main front and here most of the
windows are original; timber-framed with chamfered mullions and containing diamond
panes of leaded glass. Each gable contains a terracotta plaque inscribed WWB, AD
1853. Dairy window in the west side is still unglazed.
Interior: is little modernised and contains a great deal of original joinery and
other detail including a stick baluster stair. It seems that the kitchen walls have
never been plastered. The dairy is complete with original fittings.
Listing NGR: SY0470895462
Other nearby listed buildings