This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.8074 / 50°48'26"N
Longitude: -3.2937 / 3°17'37"W
OS Eastings: 308940
OS Northings: 101666
OS Grid: ST089016
Mapcode National: GBR LS.YFDG
Mapcode Global: FRA 36ZY.YF4
Entry Name: Granary Approximately 3 Metres North of Lower House
Listing Date: 24 October 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1098119
English Heritage Legacy ID: 86868
Location: Payhembury, East Devon, Devon, EX14
District: East Devon
Civil Parish: Payhembury
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Payhembury St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
ST DO SE
Granary approximately 3 metres
- north of Lower House
Granary. Dated 1780 by John Venn. Flemish bond brick with decorative burnt
headers; corrugated iron roof, formerly thatch. The granary is square in plan with
ground floor storeroom, first floor granary and loft in the roofspace. It stands
alongside the road with a ground floor doorway in the back (the south-east side,
facing the courtyard). This contains the original plank door hung on strap hinges.
Each end are blocked loading hatches to the granary, and windows (both glazed in the
C20) in the front and back walls. The roof is gable-ended and under each gable is a
terracotta plaque containing the initials of John and Anne Venn with the date 1780.
Interior contains mostly original plain carpentry and joinery detail.
Source: the owners documentary researches have identified the initials as John and
Listing NGR: ST0894001666
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings