This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.7934 / 50°47'36"N
Longitude: -3.3569 / 3°21'24"W
OS Eastings: 304460
OS Northings: 100191
OS Grid: ST044001
Mapcode National: GBR LP.Z9DW
Mapcode Global: FRA 36VZ.XPF
Entry Name: Courtneys Farmhouse Including Barn Adjoining to West
Listing Date: 24 October 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1098164
English Heritage Legacy ID: 86770
Location: Clyst Hydon, East Devon, Devon, EX15
District: East Devon
Civil Parish: Clyst Hydon
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Clyst Hydon St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
CLYST HYDON AUNK
ST 00 SW
2/10 Courtneys Farmhouse including barn
- adjoining to west
Farmhouse. Late C16 - early C17, much rebuilt circa 1830. Plastered and colour-
washed brick, the older part probabaly includes some cob and stone rubble; brick
stacks and chimneyshafts; slate roof.
Plan and development: 3-room-and-through-passage plan house facing south and built
on level ground. The centre and right rooms are separated by the present main
entrance lobby which contains the main staircase. The right (east) end room is a
parlour and it has a gable-end stack. The centre room is the dining room and it has
an axial stack backing onto the entrance lobby. To left is the through passage and
at the left end the original kitchen which has an end stack backing onto (and
projecting into) the adjoining barn that end. The house was extensively rebuilt
circa 1830. Only the passage and service end kitchen show evidence of earlier
fabric and even this end was thoroughly refurbished. The hall and inner room was
apparently completely rebuilt circa 1830. The farmhouse is 2 storeys with 2-storey
outshot to rear of the dining room, passage and service end kitchen.
Exterior: 5-window front of mostly circa 1830 windows. The principal rooms have a
symmetrical 3-window arrangement of 16-pane sashes arranged around the main front
doorway which contains a 6-panel door behind a flat-roofed porch with moulded
entablature and replacement oak posts. This section is flanked by stucco pilaster
strips. The left end 2-window section contains casements with glazing bars and the
passage front doorway here now contains a C20 door. The deep eaves are carried on
pairs of shaped brackets. The roof is gable-ended.
Interior: the original passage is lined both sides with oak plank-and-muntin
screens although the kitchen side screen is plastered over. The upper passage
screen has ovolo-moulded muntins. The present doorway here was knocked through in
the C19 but the original was blocked by a reset muntin. The screen is early C17.
So too is the passage rear doorway which is a particularly fine oak Tudor arch with
moulded surround and spandrels carved with rosettes and ferns. In the former
kitchen the crossbeam is plastered over and the fireplace is blocked. There is here
a corner cupboard with shaped shelves which is C18. The rest of the house contains
circa 1830 plaster and joinery detail including an open string geometric stair with
stick balusters and mahogany handrail.
A barn projects forwards from the left (west) end. Although much rebuilt in the C19
the barn is probably C17. It is built of various materials. The right (east) side
which faces onto the garden in front of the farmhouse is Flemish bond brick. The
front gable-end is local grey limestone and includes a large doorway. The roof is
gable-ended. The roof is made up of C19 king post trusses.
Listing NGR: ST0446000191
Other nearby listed buildings