This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.765 / 50°45'54"N
Longitude: -3.4449 / 3°26'41"W
OS Eastings: 298196
OS Northings: 97153
OS Grid: SX981971
Mapcode National: GBR P2.Y56J
Mapcode Global: FRA 37N2.5QR
Plus Code: 9C2RQH84+22
Entry Name: Burrough's Almshouses
Listing Date: 20 May 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1098325
English Heritage Legacy ID: 88392
Location: Broad Clyst, East Devon, Devon, EX5
District: East Devon
Civil Parish: Broad Clyst
Built-Up Area: Broadclyst
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Broadclyst St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX 99 NE BROADCLYST CHURCH LANE,
9/79 Burrough's Almshouses
Almshouses. Founded and endowed in 1605 by Henry Burroughs for 12 old people.
Largely rebuilt in 1833 but the structure appears to incorporate some old material.
Red sandstone with volcanic trap dressing, gabled-end slate roof. A 1-storey range
of rooms extending along Church Lane, with tall plinth, and 14 single-light, square-
headed windows set high with chamfered stone surrounds and latticed panes, 7 to each
side of a central entrance through arch. 6 axial stone stacks with brick shafts.
Windows to rear, all 3-light, with completely renewed concrete ovolo moulded jambs
Listing NGR: SX9819797153
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings