This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.7896 / 50°47'22"N
Longitude: -3.4774 / 3°28'38"W
OS Eastings: 295959
OS Northings: 99928
OS Grid: SX959999
Mapcode National: GBR LJ.ZNVB
Mapcode Global: FRA 37L0.C2B
Entry Name: Columbjohn Chapel and Churchyard Wall
Listing Date: 30 June 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1098327
English Heritage Legacy ID: 88397
Location: Broad Clyst, East Devon, Devon, EX5
District: East Devon
Civil Parish: Broad Clyst
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Broadclyst St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX 99 NE BROADCLYST COLUMBJOHN
5/84 Columbjohn Chapel and
- Churchyard Wall
Private chapel. Circa 1844. Ashlar volcanic trap with roof of red clay fish scale
plain tiles; tiny single-celled structure in the Romanesque Revival style with west
West end: bellcote with pyramidal tiled roof, with small buttresses to west, north
and south, rests on a large central buttress with one off-set. Bell survives.
South side: south door set at extreme west end round-headed, 2 orders of zig-zag and
1 plain, with nook shafts and cushion capitals. A single lancet to the east, round-
headed with zig-zag moulding.
East end: wide single-light, round-headed window, with zig-zag and nook shafts with
cushion capitals. Stone apex cross.
North side: 2 blind bays, framed by pilaster buttresses, the upper horizontal
chamfered. Wall plinth around whole.
Interior: sides enlivened by recesses under segmentally-headed arches (3 to north,
2 to south), with bead moulding; pilaster between. Round-headed sedilia; east
window with hook shafts, cushion capitals and zig-zag. Diagonally boarded roof.
The random rubble volcanic trap graveyard wall is included in this listing.
The old chapel was overgrown and neglected in 1831 (drawing by John Gendall), and
the present plan bears no resemblance to that of the chapel marked on the 1843 tithe
map. There is no record of the architect but perhaps it is by Cockrell.
Listing NGR: SX9595999928
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings