This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.743 / 50°44'34"N
Longitude: -3.4615 / 3°27'41"W
OS Eastings: 296979
OS Northings: 94731
OS Grid: SX969947
Mapcode National: GBR P2.ZLQ8
Mapcode Global: FRA 37M3.Z5P
Entry Name: Pinn Court Farmhouse and Adjacent Wall to the West with Old Wooden Window Frame
Listing Date: 20 May 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1098352
English Heritage Legacy ID: 88359
Location: Broad Clyst, East Devon, Devon, EX1
District: East Devon
Civil Parish: Broad Clyst
Built-Up Area: Exeter
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Pinhoe St Michael All Angels
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX 99 SE BROADCLYST
7/44 Pinn Court Farmhouse and adjacent
- wall to the west with old wooden
Farmhouse. Core and earliest roof C14 or early-C15 with later alterations and
additions. Cob, stone plinth, rendered, with gabled-end slate roof. Originally a
3-room, through passage plan, the higher end to the right of passage; with a shallow
rear kitchen wing under catslide roof and a late-C19 rear wing containing the main
stairs, separately roofed. 2 storeys throughout.
Front: 4 window range, all casements timber, C20. Wide doorway (left of centre)
with canopy supported by heavy scrolled brackets of circa 1700. One window to left,
3 to right, all casements C20. Buttressing at left-hand angle. 2 end stacks, both
now internal. Left-hand end with no windows.
Rear: C19 gabled-end wing, brick. Kitchen wing with one 2-light early-C19 timber
casement window to each floor, 4 panes to each light. External sandstone lateral
back stack (no longer used and with an inserted C20 window) was an early insertion
to heat hall. Another stack (heating present main room) breaks through slope of
roof. A fourth stack just to the rear of roof ridge marks position of fireplace
backing onto passage. 2 windows to rear of main range (above a C20 lean-to) each
with an early-C19 timber casement, one with 3 single-paned lights, the other with 2.
Interior: front door gives into through passage with blocked opposed rear door.
Kitchen with deeply chamfered beam and massive (altered) end fireplace. Newel 2
staircase to right built into thickness of stack, treads and risers probably C17.
First floor chamber of lower end divided into 2 with C17 partitions and plaster
cornices which combine ovolo and cyma recta mouldings and fillet. Higher end: rear
corridor; hall first floor is 1 metre higher than level of lower end.
Roof: 5 medieval bays to upper end. Hall of 3 bays with jointed crucks, apexes
morticed and pegged to saddle; collars and braces, 2 central trusses chamfered on
both sides, outer trusses to hall side only; one complete wind brace and fragments
of others; all trusses and trenched purlins smoke-blackened. Inner room 2 bays, one
principal, purlins (now gone) formerly threaded; hip cruck, arch-braced to ridge
piece. Evidence of wind braces. Smoke blackened. The wind braces (or fragments)
are concealed from the inner roof space by C17 battening (representing a second
roof), at which time wattle partitions were erected to provide garret accommodation.
A medieval window has been removed to the farmyard wall to the rear of farmhouse: 4-
light, timber, each light slightly chamfered and trefoil headed with mullions and
sill, but lintel C19, the top foil an ogee, suggesting a date circa 1400.
Historical note: from the early 1390s Pinn Court (called Pynne) was the residence of
the Cheyne family. Sir William Cheyne married the Pinhoe heiress and the house may
have been built by him or his son, Sir John. Both were important political figures,
Sir William being a retainer of both Richard II and Henry IV, and Sheriff of Devon
in 1408-9, and Sir John Sheriff of Devon in 1433-4 and 1443-4.
Listing NGR: SX9697994731
Other nearby listed buildings