This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.8415 / 50°50'29"N
Longitude: -3.0509 / 3°3'3"W
OS Eastings: 326100
OS Northings: 105192
OS Grid: ST261051
Mapcode National: GBR M3.W8X0
Mapcode Global: FRA 46HW.37D
Entry Name: Land Cottage and Lancet Barn Approximately 23 Metres North North-East of Land Farm House
Listing Date: 19 October 1984
Last Amended: 22 October 2013
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1098453
English Heritage Legacy ID: 88095
Location: Membury, East Devon, Devon, EX13
District: East Devon
Civil Parish: Membury
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Membury
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
Former, mid- to late-C19, stables, converted to residential use in the late C20.
Materials: it is constructed of rubble stone with a gabled roof clad in Roman tiles. The south gable is weather boarded.
Plan: the linear building, orientated north to south, has been built into a bank.
Exterior: the former stables are of two storeys to the principal elevation (west) and one storey to the rear elevation (east) which provided access to the former loft space. The C20 doors and windows to the front and rear elevation appear to reuse the existing stable openings. To the rear elevation, half dormers mark the position of the rear windows and there are a set of stone steps to the right-hand door.
Interior: not inspected (2013) but may contain the cider press referred to in the original List Entry.
The List entry for Land Cottage and Lancet Barn describes the building as an C18 stables. It is not depicted on the 1840 tithe map which suggests that the building is no earlier than mid-C19. There is a date stone to the south elevation which appears to be dated ‘1871’ and may reflect the date of construction. The stables are first shown on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map (1890) orientated north to south. Historic maps depict a range running west-east which originally connected with a former barn (now a dwelling known as West Barn) to the west. The eastern half of this range has been removed in the C20, and the former stables building is now detached. These agricultural buildings which were converted to dwellings in the late C20 were formerly associated with the Grade II listed Land Farm House to the south. This early C16 farmhouse was the birthplace of Thomas Wakley (1795-1862), surgeon and medical reformer, and founder of the medical journal ‘The Lancet’.
Drawings submitted with the planning application (1988) for its conversion indicate that the former stables now comprise two, three-bedroom dwellings with living accommodation to the ground floor.
Land Cottage and Lancet Barn, a mid- to late-C19 former stables, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Legibility: despite conversion, the original function of the building: a stables, remains legible;
* Group value: forms a coherent group with the C16 Land Farm House to the south and the mid- to late-C19 former barn to the west, which are both listed at Grade II.
Other nearby listed buildings