This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.7769 / 50°46'36"N
Longitude: -3.0324 / 3°1'56"W
OS Eastings: 327307
OS Northings: 97984
OS Grid: SY273979
Mapcode National: GBR PF.YGVD
Mapcode Global: FRA 47J1.BGC
Entry Name: Church of St Giles
Listing Date: 8 May 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1098461
English Heritage Legacy ID: 88012
Location: Kilmington, East Devon, Devon, EX13
District: East Devon
Civil Parish: Kilmington
Built-Up Area: Kilmington
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Kilmington St Giles
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SY 2797 KILMINGTON CHURCH ROAD
8.5.67 Church of St Giles
Parish church. C15 west tower. Remainder rebuilt in 1862 and designed by
T.T.Bury. West tower of two stages, north angle buttresses with set offs,
battlements, finials and gargoyles. Two light bell openings. Four centred arch
west window and door. Polygonal stair turret on south side.
Nave, north and south aisles and chancel built in 1862 in perpendicular style, and
with open timber framed south porch. Coursed stone with freestone dressings, and
slate and tiled roofs.
Interior: four bay north and south arcades with octagonal piers, moulded capitals
and double chamfered arches. Four centred arch wagon roofs to nave and chancel.
Circa C15 octagonal font with quatrefoil panels. Monuments in north aisle Thomas
Southcott 1735 with Corinthian pilasters broken pediment containing cartouche
flanked by angels.
Mrs Agnes Tucker 1788 by Harris of London, with draped urn. Royal Arms of
Charles II fixed to roof of north aisle. Hatchment over tower arch.
Listing NGR: SY2730797984
Other nearby listed buildings