This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.7996 / 50°47'58"N
Longitude: -2.9334 / 2°56'0"W
OS Eastings: 334315
OS Northings: 100415
OS Grid: ST343004
Mapcode National: GBR M8.YW3K
Mapcode Global: FRA 46RZ.F08
Plus Code: 9C2VQ3X8+RJ
Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist
Listing Date: 8 May 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1098492
English Heritage Legacy ID: 87983
Location: Hawkchurch, East Devon, Devon, EX13
Civil Parish: Hawkchurch
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Hawkchurch St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
ST 3400 HAWKCHURCH HAWKCHURCH
8.5.67 Church of St John the
Parish church. C12 and circa 1200 with C15 west tower. Heavily restored in 1862
when chancel was rebuilt. Stone rubble with freestone dressings and tiled roofs.
C12 nave with 1862 cherestory with alternating round and pointed arch windows and
reset C12 corbel table of carved heads. South doorway has depressed two centred
arch and early C13 shafts with leaf capitals.
North and south aisles, chancel and south porch of 1862 in Early English style with
geometric traceried two light windows and similar three light east window.
Tall C15 west tower of Somerset type, in four stages with set back buttresses with
set offs and moulded and embattled parapet. Polygonal stair turret on north side.
Perpendicular bell openings, four light perpendicular west windows and moulded four
centred arch west doorway with frieze of quatrefoils above.
Interior: Three bay north and south arcades. The north arcade of C12 with wide
double chamfered round arches, short round piers and square scalloped capitals. The
south arcade circa 1200 with moulded round arches and fine leaf capitals with small
figures. Moulded two centred chancel arch on C12 responds, one with scalloped
cushion capital, the other capital with interlacing and fighting dragons at the
base. Tall moulded C15 tower arch. 1862 hammerbeam roofs to nave and chancel.
Victorian furnishings including carved stone pulpit, reredos and benches.
Wall monuments: Sir William Donnett 1828 by Chislett in south aisle. Thomas Moore
C17, Amos Barns 1781 and Thomas Barns 1844.
Listing NGR: ST3432300417
Other nearby listed buildings