This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.7941 / 50°47'38"N
Longitude: -2.9831 / 2°58'59"W
OS Eastings: 330806
OS Northings: 99851
OS Grid: SY308998
Mapcode National: GBR M6.Z82R
Mapcode Global: FRA 46MZ.ZLK
Entry Name: Weycroft Hall
Listing Date: 6 June 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1098625
English Heritage Legacy ID: 87681
Location: Axminster, East Devon, Devon, EX13
District: East Devon
Civil Parish: Axminster
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: All Saints All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SY 39 NW AXMINSTER WEYCROFT
Early C15, and C16 and C17 with great hall of circa 1400. Restored in C19. The
existing house is the greater part of former Manor House. Stone rubble with
freestone, dressings and slate roofs. Gabled three storey north east wing with corner
buttresses and external stone stack to side. Square tower over porch in the angle
with the three storey range. Great hall of circa 1400 to south east with range of
three larger three-light stone mullion windows each side, the lower lights have cusped
arches. Chimney stack over gable end.
Generally stone mullion-windows with dripmoulds and leaded panes. In the tower over
the porch is single-light window with cusped arch and the adjoining wing has small
window with cusped ogee arch and two-centred arch chamfered doorway. One storey and
attic wing to north west with three-light window with reticulated tracery in end gable
and two stone mullion windows at side, one with four-centred arch lights, the other
Interior: The great hall has an open timber roof, a contemporary gallery like a
rood-loft and with carved bressummer. Large fireplace at opposite end of hall.
Remains of newel staircase.
In 1417 the Bishop of Stafford licensed a private chapel the remains of which are
probably incorporated into the garden wall qv., and in 1426 a royal license was
granted to crenellate the house and enclose the park.
Listing NGR: SY3080699851
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings