This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1101 / 52°6'36"N
Longitude: -2.4868 / 2°29'12"W
OS Eastings: 366758
OS Northings: 245868
OS Grid: SO667458
Mapcode National: GBR FW.99R3
Mapcode Global: VH85L.V766
Entry Name: Church of St Michael
Listing Date: 6 March 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1098869
English Heritage Legacy ID: 153088
Location: Castle Frome, County of Herefordshire, HR8
County: County of Herefordshire
Civil Parish: Castle Frome
Traditional County: Herefordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire
Church of England Parish: Castle Frome and Frome's Hill
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
SO 64 NE; 2/123
CASTLE FROME CP,
Church of St Michael
Parish church. C12, restored 1878 by B Martin Buckle of Malvern with
addition of bell turret, south porch and north vestry. Nave, south
porch, chancel and north vestry. Coursed and squared sandstone rubble
with ashlar dressings, tiled roof. Timber-framed bell turret and porch.
Nave: three bays; square plan west bell tower with spire, semicircular-headed window to left (blocked internally) and C15 window of three cinquefoil-
headed lights to right of gabled porch, inner square-headed doorway with semi-
circular headed relieving arch, blank tympanum, two semicircular-headed windows
in north wall with massive squared masonry. Chancel: two bays; traceried C15
window of two cinquefoil-headed lights to left and window of two trefoil-headed
lights to right, east window, C15 three cinquefoil-headed lights, semicircular-headed window survives in north wall.
INTERIOR: late C15 panelled roof, chancel,
c1500 trussed rafter roof ceiled to west and boarded and panelled to east with
moulded ribs and decorative bosses. Fittings: font, c1140, red sandstone,
chalice shaped bowl with base formed by three crouching figures, decorated
with three stranded plaiting along rim and irregular interlace to stem, carved
representations of the Baptism of Christ, the four symbols of the evangelists,
and the hand of God and two doves on the bowl. The font is one of the
outstanding works of the Herefordshire school of sculpture with a mixture of local and
French and Italian elements. Pulpit, early C18, three-sided with moulded
cornice and bolection moulded panels.
Monuments: in chancel: Unett memorial,
tomb chest c1630-40, sandstone with effigies of alabaster, draped sides with
weepers probably representing children, two effigies, male and female in civil
costume; Francis Unett memorial, wall tablet, 1656, stone and slate, broken
pediment with coat of arms supported by twisted columns.
(RCHM Vol II, p 48/9,
item 1; Romanesque Exhibition Catalogue 1983, item 139; F Bond, Fonts and Font
Covers, 1908, p 52; L Stone, Sculpture in Britain in the Middle Ages, Pelican
History of Art, 1955, p 476; A Gardner, English Medieval Sculpture, 1951, p 58).
Listing NGR: SO6675545868
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings