History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Grammar Hotel

A Grade II Listed Building in Lower Allithwaite, Cumbria

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.2054 / 54°12'19"N

Longitude: -2.9554 / 2°57'19"W

OS Eastings: 337776

OS Northings: 479275

OS Grid: SD377792

Mapcode National: GBR 7MST.Y7

Mapcode Global: WH83C.KKVD

Entry Name: The Grammar Hotel

Listing Date: 18 May 1953

Last Amended: 15 February 1989

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1099147

English Heritage Legacy ID: 76954

Location: Lower Allithwaite, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA11

County: Cumbria

District: South Lakeland

Civil Parish: Lower Allithwaite

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Cartmel St Mary and St Michael

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Cartmel

Listing Text

LOWER ALLITHWAITE CARTMEL
SD 37 NE
5/41 The Grammar Hotel
(formerly listed as
18.5.53 The Grammar School)
II
Hotel. 1790s, extended 1862 and later. Roughcast stone with stone dressings,
the 1862 parts of coursed slate with limestone dressings, hipped slate roofs.
South facade of 2 storeys, original part of 4 bays, with 2-bay extension to
left, the 2nd bay breaking forward under gable. Original part has rusticated
quoins and string course. Round-headed windows to ground floor,
segmental-headed windows to 1st floor, all with plaster surrounds, imposts and
triple keys; C20 small-paned glazing. Entrance to 1st bay is round-headed, with
glazed doors and fanlight with glazing bars. 1st 2 bays have 1st floor sill
band, windows are sashed with vertical glazing bars, 2nd bay has canted bay
window with hipped roof. Datestone to gable. 2 cross-axial stacks and return
lateral stack. Left return of 3 bays similar, plaster aprons to windows;
central entrance has timber porch and C20 door in glazed doorcase. Right return
has small single storey extension with pedimented gables to south and east,
round-headed window to south and round-headed window over blocked door. To rear
of this a later range of 2 storeys and 3 bays with top-hung casements to north.
North elevation of original part has C20 lean-to extension with lean-to
extension to 1st floor with continuous glazing, segmental-headed windows. To
right, 2 bays with sashes and casements.


Listing NGR: SD3777679275

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.