This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.1274 / 52°7'38"N
Longitude: -2.6638 / 2°39'49"W
OS Eastings: 354657
OS Northings: 247884
OS Grid: SO546478
Mapcode National: GBR FN.81W0
Mapcode Global: VH859.SS4H
Entry Name: Amberley Chapel
Listing Date: 20 October 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1099404
English Heritage Legacy ID: 153985
Location: Marden, County of Herefordshire, HR1
County: County of Herefordshire
Civil Parish: Marden
Traditional County: Herefordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire
Church of England Parish: Marden with Amberley and Wisteston
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
SO 54 NW MARDEN CP AMBERLEY
4/19 Amberley Chapel
Chapel. Mainly C14, C12 origins, restored 1865. Roughly coursed sand-
stone rubble, sandstone dressings, slate roof, bell-cote to west verge.
Rectangular plan with structurally undifferentiated nave and chancel.
Gabled bell-cote, two openings, each containing a bell, with square
heads to east and ogee heads over trefoiled soffits to west. Buttresses
with off-sets; either side of west window, angled at north-west and
south-west corners, set back to eastern corners. West and south-west
windows: two trefoiled ogeed lights under quatrefoils and chamfered labels.
North-west window is square-headed, three trefoil-headed lights with two
quatrefoils, two half-quatrefoils and three spandrel-lights above. North-
east and south-east windows have Y-tracery with single deeply incised
mouldings to jambs. East window: a total restoration, has three lights,
the outer two of which have pointed heads. Window to east of porch has
one light with a trefoiled head and blind cusped spandrels. South porch:
round-headed arch with heavy roll moulding, perhaps C12; one small light
to each side wall with ogee head and trefoil beneath (cf bell-cote). South
doorway is a chamfered pointed arch. Interior: late C19 open wagon roof
with brattished wall-plates. Trefoil-headed piscina with square drain;
C12 corbel rising from circular base to scalloped trumpet capital and
square abacus set in south side of east wall. To the left of the east
window is a large raised panel with a brattished top, ovolo-moulded sides
and a plain recessed segmental-headed arch. Pulpit, mid- to late C19:
three sides with chevron and ball flower frieze and three stylised composite
capitals supporting miniature wall-shafts. Late C19 chancel screen has
open trefoil-headed panels, central entrance with carved spandrels and a
brattished top. Late C19 harmonium by Mason and Hamlin, Boston, USA.
Font, also late C19, has circular bowl set in an octagon decorated with
quatrefoil panels beneath blind ogee cresting and shamrocks, octagonal
stem, round base. The earlier font from this chapel is in the garden of
Amberley Court (qv). (RCHM, Vol II, p 136).
Listing NGR: SO5465847885
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings