This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.0948 / 52°5'41"N
Longitude: -2.9725 / 2°58'20"W
OS Eastings: 333476
OS Northings: 244500
OS Grid: SO334445
Mapcode National: GBR F7.B39S
Mapcode Global: VH77W.FLFY
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 26 January 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1099515
English Heritage Legacy ID: 153634
Location: Bredwardine, County of Herefordshire, HR3
County: County of Herefordshire
Civil Parish: Bredwardine
Traditional County: Herefordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire
Church of England Parish: Bredwardine with Brobury
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
SO 34 SW BREDWARDINE CP BREDWARDINE
6/13 Church of St Andrew
Parish church. Early C12, C14, late C18, restored 1875. Sandstone rubble
with tufa and sandstone dressings, tile roof. Early C14 chancel at angle to
early C12 nave, late C18 north tower. Chancel entirely early C14 with a
restored window of 2 trefoiled lights in south wall, and mid-C14 triangular
headed priests' door to west of it; east wall: 3 trefoiled lights; north wall:
single ogee-trefoiled light window, corners buttressed. Nave: west portion
has 2 small early C12 windows under semi-circular heads flanking the C19
timber south porch, within which is the C12 south door with engaged shafts
and carved cushion capitals below a semi-circular arch and plain tympanum,
the lintel is carved with geometrical designs; eastern portion of south wall
is mid-C14 with a window of 3 cinquefoiled lights under a 2 centred head;
west wall: string course beneath a much restored semi-circular headed window,
below are traces of a blocked west door; north wall: some herringbone masonry
low down in wall, above are 2 semi-circular headed windows, below the western
one the blocked C12 north door, similar to south door with carved lintel which
includes 2 grotesque monsters. Tower: 2 stages on chamfered plinth, with
moulded string course; single lancets to each stage, crenellated parapet.
Interior: nave: 2 corbels in mid-C14 south wall, for rood screen (?).
Chancel: 2 recumbent effigies of knights, late C14 against north wall, circa
1450 alabaster against south wall. Font: large round bowl of Breccia supported
on a central and four subsidiary shafts, late C12; cover: C17 with pierced
finial. Roofs: C19 king post trusses. Reredos, pews, pulpit and all the
usual fittings belong to the 1875 restoration. (RCHM I, pp 25/26).
Listing NGR: SO3347644500
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings