This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.0298 / 52°1'47"N
Longitude: -2.7159 / 2°42'57"W
OS Eastings: 350983
OS Northings: 237060
OS Grid: SO509370
Mapcode National: GBR FL.G6Y0
Mapcode Global: VH85V.W73T
Plus Code: 9C4V27HM+WM
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 21 May 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1099560
English Heritage Legacy ID: 155621
Location: Grafton, County of Herefordshire, HR2
Civil Parish: Grafton
Traditional County: Herefordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire
Church of England Parish: Bullinghope
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
GRAFTON CP BULLINGHOPE
SO 53 NW
2/24 Church of St Peter
Parish church. 1880 by F R Kempson with tower added in 1909. Coursed
sandstone and limestone dressings. Tiled roofs: West tower, three-bay
nave with south porch, two-bay chancel with organ chamber and vestry.
West tower projecting from verge of nave has three stages and stone spire.
West side has side buttresses with quoins extending to top of centre stage.
Bottom stage has chamfered trefoiled lancet with moulded label and foliated
stops. Clock face to centre stage: Top stage has trefoil-headed bell opening
under gable to each cardinal point. Spire has wrought iron and copper weather-
cock. North elevation of nave has high plinth with string and 2:3:1 windows,
all trefoiled lancets. Stone eaves cornice. Verge and gable cross to east.
Vestry and organ chamber have a pair of lancets to right-hand side and a
ledged door in a two-centred arch reached by stairs with parapet rising from
the left: Above the doorway is a string stepping down to the left corner
and a gable containing a pair of lancets with labels and stops. In the apex
is a corbelled gablet: To the right of the stairs a second stair descends
from the right to a cellar with west-facing doorway: To the rear of the organ
chamber is a gabled stack with a cylindrical shaft: East elevation has 3-light
window under a two-centred head with label and foliated stops: The lights are
stepped lancets: Tracery has quatrefoil flanked by two trefoils. Beneath
the high cill is a moulded string: Kneelers, verges and gable cross. Trefoil-
headed light to vestry has hoodmould which returns along north elevation:
Attached to chancel wall is a tapered coffin lid about six feet six inches
high by two feet wide with incised shaft and cross in circle, perhaps C13.
South elevation of chancel has string returning from east end by only about
two feet. To the left is a 3-light window of three lancets with trefoiled
heads and jambs in four orders: Continuous label with foliated stops to each
end: Nave has four trefoiled lancets linked by ashlared walling: To the left
of south porch is a similar lancet: South porch has two-centred arch with two
deeply roll-moulded continuous orders and hoodmould: The jambs have foliated
stops to their feet: Weathered clasping buttress to each corner. Gable has
kneelers, verge and stone cross: Returns each have a pair of lancets with
continuous roll-moulded heads and jambs: Ledged two-leaved softwood door with
strap hinges: Wagon roof. South doorway has two-centred moulded head of two
orders, the inner filleted one being continuous except where crossed by
chamfered impost. Jambs have foliated feet. Ledged oak door with scrolled
strap hinges. Interior has wagon roof to nave. That above the ceiling of
the chancel is probably of the same form. Chancel has piscina with trefoiled
head, chamfered jambs with pyramdical stops and deep quatrefoil drain: To
the right is two-seat sedilia with similar but larger heads supported by
central grey column and attached columns to sides, all with foliated capitals.
Piscina and sedilia are linked by continuous hoodmould with foliated stops
which runs into string on east wall. Cinquefoil-headed recess of three con-
tinuous orders in north wall has deeply moulded cill also of three orders.
Doorway with shouldered head leads into vestry: Large chamfered two-centred
arch to organ chamber. Limestone reredos has three panels, surmounted by
crocketted gables and divided by marble columns, depicting scenes from The
Oak communion rails with central opening have brass finials on inner ends and
are supported on brass shafts with waist bands. Two sets of choir stalls to
each side, the rear ones with moulded arms; the front with brattished top to
desk and integral bench with quatrefoiled panels. Book rest to west end of
each side. Late C19 to early C20 organ has oak cabinet, exposed pipes and two
manuals above which is the inscription "UNIVERSITY/ ORGAN". Vestry contains
print of the church with elevation and interior view.
and a drawing of the old Bullinghope Church (qv) reported as having been made
about 1830. Chancel arch, with label and headstops, has two centres and two
deeply moulded orders, the inner one rising from grey stone shafts supported
on corbels. Nave has unusual stone wall monument on west wall with achievement
in sconce above inscription Danel in form of cartouche surrounded by naval
A tablet beneath indicates that the monument was removed from the ruined
walls of the old church in 1894: Nearby are several other wall monuments also
removed, including one for C J P Glinn Commander RN. Large white marble kneel-
ing angel holding sconce, in lieu of font, is for Frances Fisher, died 1878.
On the north wall is framed parchment Roll of Honour for seven men who died
1914 - 19 and Winifred Aulsebrook, killed at Rotherwas Ordnance Factory in
1920. In the past and in RCHM the Church of St Peter has been described
as being in Bullingham Parish which is probably due to the fact that there
is an adjacent parish of Lower Bullingham (qv). (BoE, p 139-40; RCHM, Vol I,
p 82 - 3).
Listing NGR: SO5098337060
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings