This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.9097 / 51°54'35"N
Longitude: -2.4613 / 2°27'40"W
OS Eastings: 368362
OS Northings: 223567
OS Grid: SO683235
Mapcode National: GBR FX.PXRQ
Mapcode Global: VH86L.985B
Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist
Listing Date: 17 March 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1099646
English Heritage Legacy ID: 155415
Location: Aston Ingham, County of Herefordshire, HR9
County: County of Herefordshire
Civil Parish: Aston Ingham
Traditional County: Herefordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire
Church of England Parish: Aston Ingham
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
ASTON INGHAM CP B 4222
SO 62 SE
6/4 Church of St John
Church. Largely rebuilt 1891 by Nicholson and Son, with C13 remains and
C16 tower. Sandstone, rock-faced except for west wall of random rubble.
Slate roof. Comprises a west tower, nave, lower chancel, and west porch.
The west window is of three trefoiled lights with flat head. The tower is
built within the nave and rises from the west wall. It has a pyramid roof
and two string courses. The upper stage has louvred bell openings with plain
reveals. Below are loop openings on each side. In the north wall of the nave
are two windows each of two cusped ogee lights under a pointed head with
reticulated tracery. Between them is a blocked chamfered pointed doorway,
possibly C13. At the right is a lancet window. The south nave wall has two
windows of two lights, similar to those to the north. To the west of the
porch is a lancet window. The porch is gabled and has a moulded pointed
doorway. The inner doorway appears to be re-set and re-cut, and includes a
keel-roll moulding. The chancel has two lancets in the north wall. The
south wall has a window of one trefoiled ogee light to the right of a restored
moulded pointed doorway, which is possibly C13. The east window is of three
lights with Geometrical tracery. Both nave and chancel have gable copings
with cross finials. Interior: the nave roof is boarded, of elliptical section
with ribs and carved bosses. The chancel arch is C13, was raised and re-set in
C19 and has semi-octagonal responds. The arch is pointed and chamfered in two
orders. The voussoirs may be C12 and re-used. Set into the east wall are two
worn coffin lids with effigies. The lead font is inscribed "WR", "WM" and
"1689", with other relief decoration. It is set on a sandstone base which
incorporates a C13 capital. A wall tablet to John Howell (died 1750) is re-
set in the south nave wall. The chancel windows contain glass of early C20
date. A south nave window contains glass by Powell, dated 1890 (RCHM, p 5).
Listing NGR: SO6836223567
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings