This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.0973 / 51°5'50"N
Longitude: 0.5363 / 0°32'10"E
OS Eastings: 577689
OS Northings: 136170
OS Grid: TQ776361
Mapcode National: GBR PTC.4DT
Mapcode Global: FRA D607.2RG
Entry Name: Church of St Dunstan
Listing Date: 20 June 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1099931
English Heritage Legacy ID: 168891
Location: Cranbrook & Sissinghurst, Tunbridge Wells, Kent, TN17
Civil Parish: Cranbrook & Sissinghurst
Built-Up Area: Cranbrook
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
CRANBROOK CARRIERS ROAD, (EAST
TQ 7736 SIDE)
Church of St Dunstan
Parish Church. Late C13, C14 late C15, early C16, restored C1863 by
William Slater and Ewan Christian. Dressed stone with plain tiled roofs, all
hidden by crenellated parapets except chancel. West tower, nave with north and
south aisles, south porch, north and south transeptal chapels and chancel.
Extension: 3-stage tower with crenellated parapet and south-east octagonal stair
turret. Stepped angle buttresses. Two-light cusped belfry openings under
label moulds with 2-centred arched openings on second stage and large C15 window
above pointed arched west doorway heavily inset. Six-bay nave and aisles all
with large late C15 or early C16 windows, some quite heavily renewed. Two-bay
transeptal chapels, little more than extensions eastwards of aisles. Chancel
of 3 bays with higher pitch to roof. Clock on south wall of town, C1700 with
C20 figure of time (original in Town Museum), in open swan-neck pediment topping
cartouche. Interior: C15 tower arch. Six-bay arcades, with compound plans of
4 shafts and 4 double waves, wide 3-centred arches matching carrying clerestory
with 4 centred arched windows. Vertical shafts flanking clerestory windows
terminate below in demi-angles over pairs of arcade and as demi-angles on roof
corbels. Crown-post nave roof with cusped arches in tympana. C14 chancel arch.
Fittings: 4 wooden roof bosses, ("Green Men"), C1300. Early C15 altar rails.
C18 pulpit, with sounding board, now a table. Font of 1852 in perpendicular.
Also total immersion font of 1725 by south porch. Glass: one window in north
aisle with complete early C16 glazing. North and south chancel windows by
O'Connor, C1858-59. Three windows in south aisle by C E Kempe, 1902. Monuments.
Brass of merchant C1520. Marble standing monument, for the Roberts family,
1740 by Joseph Pickford. Broker pediment and drops of oak-leaves. Baker family
1736. Obelisk. Thomas webster, R A d.1886 by Hamo Thorney-Croft, 1889. Marble
relief of recumbent artist.
Listing NGR: TQ7769036166
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings