This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.4249 / 52°25'29"N
Longitude: -2.118 / 2°7'4"W
OS Eastings: 392075
OS Northings: 280769
OS Grid: SO920807
Mapcode National: GBR 1CC.Z7G
Mapcode Global: VH91Q.79PY
Plus Code: 9C4VCVFJ+WR
Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist
Listing Date: 16 November 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1100106
English Heritage Legacy ID: 156386
Location: Hagley, Bromsgrove, Worcestershire, DY9
Civil Parish: Hagley
Built-Up Area: Stourbridge
Traditional County: Worcestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire
Church of England Parish: Hagley
Church of England Diocese: Worcester
SO 98 SW
Church of St John the Baptist
Parish church. C13 origins, partly rebuilt 1754-56 by Sanderson Miller, north aisle and arcade added in 1828 by Rickman, partly rebuilt and remodelled again in 1858-65 by Street. Sandstone ashlar, plain tiled roofs with gable-end parapets and cross-finial at east end. West tower, four bay aisled nave with south porch, and sanctus bellcote, three-bay chancel with north vestry and organ chamber. Decorated style.
West tower: roughly three stages with strings and chamfered plinth which continues round building; gabled diagonal corner buttresses; pointed west doorway with stepped plinth string forming hood mould and two-light window above with sill string and hood mould; two loopholes on west side of second stage; belfry stage has large two-light louvred bell-chamber openings with ball flower mouldings, sill string and a continuous hood mould; trefoil frieze beneath broach spire with lucarnes beneath a quatrefoil frieze and a weathervane.
Nave: separate gabled aisles; continuous sill string; windows all have hood moulds with returns or decorated stops; north aisle has buttresses with offsets at bay divisions, a gabled diagonal west corner buttress, a three-light west end window and a three-light window and three two-light windows in the north elevation; south aisle includes some medieval masonry: angled corner buttresses and central south buttress with offsets; two-light west and east windows and three two-light windows in south elevation; there is an oval early C19 memorial situated west of the central buttress.
South porch: gabled; corner pilaster buttress with string above; pointed archway with hood mould; string in gable apex with loop-hole above; similar arched doorway within. Gabled sanctus bell-cote with single pointed archway. Chancel: buttresses with offsets at bay divisions and angled at east end; stepped sill string; windows have hood moulds with head and foliated stops; three-light east window; two two-light windows and a three-light window in south elevation; the latter window has a transom below which is a Virgin and Child relief with flanking early C20 memorials.
North vestry and organ chamber: partly gabled, partly as lean-to with catslide roof; two two-light windows and pointed doorway; C20 lean-to on each side and large stone stack at junction.
Interior: four bay nave arcades of two chamfered orders on octagonal columns with moulded capitals and bases (some C13 masonry in south arcade): similar chancel and narrow tower arch, both with inner order on colonnettes. Arch-braced collar truss roofs with paired swept wind-braces; chancel roof has cusped pointed arcade above moulded wall-plate and cusped pierced braces. East window has slender nookshafts and hood mould with angel stops. Ornately painted and gilded arcaded reredos with marble panels and central marble cross; cusped pointed aumbry; three-bay sedilia; gilded traceried wrought iron chancel screen, c1915 by Sir Thomas Jackson.
Octagonal stone font with arcaded stem and cusped frieze around basin. Circular pulpit with cusped arcading, marble panels and foliated detail probably by Street. Finialed tomb recess in north aisle contains C13 coffin lid decorated with a foliated cross. South aisle has a piscina and at the east end is a carved panel with an animal relief of probable Norman date found in 1984, (this suggests that there was an even earlier church on the site).
Memorials: in tower numerous C18 and C19 memorials, mainly to Lyttleton family; most notable by Roubiliac to Lucy Lyttleton, died 1747, to a design by Sir Charles Frederick with a putto seated next to an urn.
Glass: east window and one window in both aisles by Kempe; also two windows in south aisle by Henry Holiday.
Listing NGR: SO9207580769
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings