History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Ruins of Langley Palace in the Garden of No 80 (York Ridge)

A Grade II Listed Building in Kings Langley, Hertfordshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7119 / 51°42'42"N

Longitude: -0.458 / 0°27'28"W

OS Eastings: 506631

OS Northings: 202584

OS Grid: TL066025

Mapcode National: GBR G76.R08

Mapcode Global: VHFSD.07QJ

Entry Name: Ruins of Langley Palace in the Garden of No 80 (York Ridge)

Listing Date: 22 October 1952

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1100417

English Heritage Legacy ID: 157688

Location: Kings Langley, Dacorum, Hertfordshire, WD4

County: Hertfordshire

District: Dacorum

Civil Parish: Kings Langley

Built-Up Area: Hemel Hempstead

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: King's Langley

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Kings Langley

Listing Text

TL 00 SE
7/157
22.10.52

KINGS LANGLEY
LANGLEY HILL
(South side)
Ruins of Langley Palace in the garden of No. 80 (York Ridge)

GV
II

Ruined walls and fragments of stonework. C16 or earlier. Uncoursed
knapped flint walls with red brick angle, plinth offset and internal
arched recesses. Limestone dressed stonework from arches and mullioned
windows set into later walling attached to old walls. The ruins
represent the NW corner of a flint walled building and stand to about
4M. The walls are about 600mm thick and have signs of internal plaster.
They extend about 4M to S and 2M to E from corner where a lower wall
with stonework fragments is attached, pierced by a stone archway of
fragments. A royal palace existed here as early as 1299. Edmund of
Langley; Duke of York, 5th son of Edward III, was born here in 1341. It
remained a palace until the mid C15 and was given to the Duchess of York
in 1469. It probably ceased to be used from after this. The upstanding
ruins possibly formed part of the house built after the crown lease to
Sir Charles Morrisson in 1580 and before 1591. It lasted until at least
the late C17 and was the home of Lady Capel after her husband was
executed by Oliver Cromwell. (RCHM(1911)135 no.3).

Listing NGR: TL0663102584

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.