This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.3603 / 52°21'37"N
Longitude: -2.161 / 2°9'39"W
OS Eastings: 389130
OS Northings: 273595
OS Grid: SO891735
Mapcode National: GBR 1D3.SL1
Mapcode Global: VH91W.HXDZ
Plus Code: 9C4V9R6Q+4H
Entry Name: Church of St Cassian
Listing Date: 25 February 1958
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1100682
English Heritage Legacy ID: 157044
Location: Chaddesley Corbett, Wyre Forest, Worcestershire, DY10
District: Wyre Forest
Civil Parish: Chaddesley Corbett
Traditional County: Worcestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire
Church of England Parish: Kidderminster East
Church of England Diocese: Worcester
Tagged with: Church building
CHADDESLEY CORBETT CP
VILLAGE STREET (west side)
Church of St Cassian
Parish church. C12, extended late C13 and C14; tower and spire rebuilt 1778-1779 by James Rose, restored 1863-1864 by William Butterfield. Sandstone ashlar with tile roofs. West tower with spire, 1778-1779; C12 nave, C14 north and south aisles; C14 chancel, C13 north chapel.
Tower: four stages capped by an octagonal stone spire, with two levels of windows, the upper windows each have a pair of two-centred lights. The tower windows have two lights under a two-centred head. Crenellated parapet above moulded cornice, offsets to each stage, angle buttresses. Third-stage windows of two lights under two-centred heads; second stage with circular window in quatrefoil recess. First stage with two-light window under two-centred head. Ground floor on west side has a three-light C19 window under two-centred head in place of door, entrance now in south wall under two-centred head of two moulded orders.
South aisle: crenellated parapet, diagonal buttresses with C18 flying buttress to right of centre. Three windows: three cinquefoiled lights under segmental pointed heads. Behind flying buttress is an ogee-headed burial niche with crocketted canopy; east window extended C14 of three lights, the outer two trefoiled, the central light inquefoiled, under a two-centred head.
North aisle: four bays, three to left each have a C19 window of two trefoiled lights under two-centred heads. Right-hand bay has a C12 doorway with semicircular head of two enriched orders and engaged respond shafts with scalloped capitals. West window of three trefoiled lights under two-centred head. C13 north chapel is of three bays defined by heavily restored stepped buttresses. Windows each of two lights under two-centred heads set in hollow moulded reveals. East window rises above C19 vestry and has three lights under a two-centred head.
C14 chancel is a fine example of Decorated style. South wall of three windows: to left of three lights, two trefoiled, the central one cinquefoiled, below a two-centred head. To right similar but quatrefoil central light. Central window has three trefoiled lights, over an ogee-headed doorway. East window: five trefoiled lights with reticulated tracery under two-centred head.
INTERIOR: nave: late C12 south arcade of three bays, columns with scalloped capitals, two-centred arches of two plain orders.
North arcade: mostly early C12, four bays, columns support semicircular arches, save that to west end which is similar to south arcade. Tall tower arch, two-centred of two chamfered orders, mostly obscured by mid-C20 organ loft.
Chancel arch: segmental pointed arch of two chamfered orders, the inner dying into the responds; north arcade of two bays with octagonal pier supporting two-centred arches with two orders of hollow chamfers. Three-seat sedilia with ogee heads to south wall and a piscina with nodding ogee head.
Roofs: nave: eight bays, restored C19; trusses have arch braces and a pair of raking struts above elaborately cusped; north aisle lean-to roof C19 of five bays; chancel: C19 barrel vault.
Fittings: south aisle: C13 recumbent stone effigy of knight; nave: C12 Hereford school font of goblet form with interlaced knop and four dragons to bowl, pulpit by Butterfield; chancel memorial brass (now wall mounted) to Thomas Forrest died 1511, and his wife Margaret; north chapel, under arcade a C13 recumbent stone effigy of a priest; in chapel on north wall: tablet to Lady Mary Yate (daughter of Humphrey Packington) died 1696, flanked by Doric pilasters with entablature, floral panel below, surmounted by armorial bearings; also tablet to Humphrey Packington, died 1631, in black and white marble, Ionic columns to broken segmental pediment; wall memorial to Dame Ann Audeley, (daughter of Humphrey Packington) died 1642, has eared architrave to inscription flanked by consoles; south west corner wall tablet to Elizabeth, daughter of Thomas Holt of Aston, died 1647, flanked by Ionic columns with entablature.
Listing NGR: SO8913073596
External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.
Other nearby listed buildings